Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Back Handed Compliment  (Read 4505 times)

Offline blaupunk

• View Profile
Back Handed Compliment
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:25:40 PM »
In the latest TAS Johnathan Valin gives a back handed compliment to the TP and United Audio (here in the Free State of Maryland) while acknowledging that the TP as source and United Audio's reworked Tascam RTR are as close as the public is likely to get to the real deal he opines that the pursuit is for the well healed adventurer, not a main stream pursuit (my characterization not his).
With a review to follow, it is better than nothing, but in reality we are a bit out there aren't we?
The truth will set you free!
Find the snippet for yourself in the TAS it won't take but a few seconds to read once you find it.
CV
Charles Vonderheid

Offline Greg Beron

• View Profile
    • United Home Audio
Re: Back Handed Compliment
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
I hear your point, however I would like to offer the following for consideration.

THE ABSOLUTE SOUND "GOLDEN EAR AWARD" = A REVIEWERS HIGHEST COMPLIMENT
Out of every component Valin has heard he only gave 3 awards for 2010!
Out of all the equipment in the world there were only 34 awards given by the magazine for 2010.

I say CONGRATULATIONS to The Tape Project, to the UHA-HQ deck (what a shameless plug), and to Jonathan Valin for being brave enough to say what his ears heard.

Jonathan Valin is a prolific listener, I doesn't surprise me one bit that he is a reviewer. I've been out to visit him at his home twice bringing tape decks for him to use in his evaluation of "tape" as a source component. I can tell you that we listened from 10am or 11 am till 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning, with only breaks for lunch, dinner, or a quick trip to the local used record store. This was the schedule every day I was there, we either listened to music or tweaked his system. To someone who listens to music like this, having 20 Tape Project tapes isn't that much to listen to. This fall (I believe it is??) when The Tape Project comes out with the next 10 tapes that will help quite a bit.

However, I do believe that having a major reviewer in, (one could say) the best audio magazine in the world, say something as definitive, as absolute, as the quote below is REALLY BIG! In reality Jonathan has put himself on the line here, he has turned away from the music server, high resolution digital download path that other reviewers have safely gone down, to praise Reel to Reel tape! If you want to read how violent some of the comments are regarding this then read this blog, http://www.avguide.com/blog/the-ultimate-source-component. (You may have to copy and paste it to your browser.)

Jonathan Valin
The Absolute Sound Magazine
June/July issue.
"If you have the money and a burning desire to hear how close recorded media can come to the real thing, then buy a UHA-HQ Tascam deck and get a Tape Project Subscription.
Like Jenny when she was just five years old, you won't believe what you heard at all""

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 07:10:36 AM by Greg Beron »
UNITED HOME AUDIO
UHA Reel To Reel tape decks / High End Audio
WASHINGTON DC / MARYLAND / VIRGINIA
www.unitedhomeaudio.com