TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Technics RS-1500 playback problem  (Read 4634 times)

Offline rje

• View Profile
Technics RS-1500 playback problem
« on: May 09, 2010, 10:56:29 PM »
Hello,

I just acquired a used RS-1500. It appears to have low hours, as the heads show almost no wear, the pinch rollers appear to be practically new and the brakes work perfectly from both RW and FF to play.

I used it yesterday to transfer a tape to CD-R, and all went well. This evening I started to transfer another tape and after about 45 minutes this is what happened: On its own, the transport stopped, the pinch rollers disengaged but the playback button stayed lit. After about 10 to 15 seconds it started playing again for a few seconds, then stopped again. It just kept on doing this until I pressed the stop button. After winding the tape off, I tried holding down the tape tensioners and putting the machine into play with exactly the same result.

I am assuming that I will have to have this repaired, if that is possible. Has anyone else encountered this type of malfunction with a 1500?

Raymond

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Technics RS-1500 playback problem
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 03:16:29 AM »
Hi Raymond,

When the pinch rollers disengage does the capstan stop too or does it keep moving?
When the reel tables stop moving but the "Play" button is still lit, try moving the reel tables manually. Is the resistance the same as when "stop" is engaged?
It sounds like one of the control circuits has a bad connection or maybe a capacitor that's going downhill. The reason I'm guessing that is there's a safety feature that should engage "stop" if the take up side (right) reel motor stops completely.
If you're lucky,.. it could be just an iffy connection. If you have any experience fooling around with electronics or have a buddy who is, you should try jiggling or pulling and reseating  the multipin connectors that are on the two circuit boards located just under the capstan flywheel on the left and right. Do one at a time with the power off and check the machine.
Put a piece of tape to hold down one of the tensioners since you'll might have to do this a number of times for each connector.
Another source of weird speed problems could be the "speed selector, pitch control and timer" switches. Try switching and or turning each several times.

While you or your buddy are trying things it helps to think of these machines as just that,.. machines. Reel to reels are more closely related to a precision mechanical device than say, an amplifier (even though they have amps in them) and many problems arise from it's sitting unused (just like a Porsche in a barn). Things get gummed up, grease hardens and connections corrode.

Past those things, there's a lot of things it could be. Tired power supply components, a bad IC on the main control board etc. Either of which you probably will need a good tech to track down the problem.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline rje

• View Profile
Re: Technics RS-1500 playback problem
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 10:29:41 AM »
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your quick reply and helpful suggestions. To answer your first two questions, when the pinch rollers disengage the brakes engage and the capstan keeps moving. When the reel tables stop moving and the play button is still lit, the reel tables have the same resistance as when stop in engaged.

I opened up the back of the machine and re-seated the two pin connector that is just to the left and below the capstan wheel and close to the back of the machine. The others I could wiggle, but I couldn't get my fingers in far enough to unplug and re-seat them.  It started working again for about a fifteen minutes, but there was between a half-second  to three second delay between pressing the play button and the mechanism response. Now it's back to the same on-off problem. I will have to take it into my local technician, with your suggestions for possible causes.

Many thanks for you help,

Raymond