TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Studer Site  (Read 11035 times)

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
Re: Studer Site
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 06:22:34 PM »
Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your effort :-)
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline C_Campbell

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 07:34:40 PM »
Hi Paul,

The whole world of grep and regular expressions is a completely new one to me, but I'm discovering that it is fantastically powerful. It had been my intention to strip out most of the email header material in the Studer List so that just "From," "To," and "Subject" were left, and I was gradually performing hundreds of search and replace operations to do this. What I didn't realize at the outset was how variable the email record structure was, and how many damaged/incomplete/anomalous records there were. So I lost a couple of days of work when I discovered that I had these weird floating fragments at the end of the process. On this second iteration, I'm processing the records much more slowly and gently, working with each of the seven segments individually and dealing with the problem records more systematically. I'm very aware that this is not only an important source of information for those of us going forward into the future with open-reel recorders, but the historical record of a large number of prominent people, and it's terribly important that I not distort it in any way. At this point, I'm fairly certain that every character ? some 12 million of them! ? will be exactly where they were originally, or were supposed to be.

When the TextWrangler documentation wasn't adequate to what I needed to do, I ordered a copy of Jeffrey Friedl's _Mastering Regular Expressions_ on the recommendation of a friend. I'll have to look up your son's book, as that may come in handy too ? thanks for the recommendation.
Christopher Campbell

www.cbcampbell.com

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 04:22:37 PM »
I knew someone could solve this problem.  Thanks, Christopher.  We wait for your project end.

In the meantime, I had figured out an interim solution to merger the 7 Studer List text files into a one huge (24.6 meg) file using MS Notepad.
After saving it as a single text file, I was able to use the Search menu Find and "Find Next" for key words.

It's not eligant but worked for me.

Ki
Ki Choi