Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: A Couple of Questions  (Read 7381 times)

Offline rr

• View Profile
A Couple of Questions
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:13:37 PM »
I just discovered the Tape Project a couple of days ago via Audiogon. 

I am kind of interested in getting a RTR and buying some Tape Project tapes.  As I read the web site and forum posts and follow the links I can see that the first choice RTR would be a studio machine however that is not really practical for me from a space standpoint and probably maintenance/complexity too since I just want to listen to music, not fool around trying to find parts and adjusting hardware.  I stumbled on the United Home Audio site and became interested in their RTR deck, possibly the phase 6.  Although I did read the Absolute Sound stuff, I don't don't put much faith in reviews from audio magazines and I was hoping that some people here would comment about this deck, either on the forum or privately.

I am also curious about the availability of high quality RTR tapes, other than The Tape Project however my Internet searches haven't been turning up anything of high quality.  Could anyone comment about the resources for, maybe, 15ips RTR tapes, and how do you find the "good stuff". I don't see anything on eBay or Audiogon.

Yes, I am aware that you sell two good RTR decks and I am sure that they are quite good by virtue of the fact that they are associated with the Tape Project tapes however I haven't been able to find any comments (other than TAS) about the United deck and that's what I am looking for now.

I am not in any aspect of the audio business and certainly not a shill for United, just looking for information.

Thanks for anything you might be able to share with me.

Rocco R
Rocco R.

Offline Satch

• View Profile
Re: A Couple of Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 09:19:11 AM »
Hi Rocco,

I bought a Phase 1 United Home Audio modded Tascam BR-20 a while back and love it. I was looking for a deck that would work right out of the box and have somebody to back it up if something went wrong. Also started out with a partial subscription (7/10) of series 1 of the Tape Project Tapes. I have the titles for series 2 picked out and I'm saving up my money.

I'm relatively new to high end audio and I don't have any other high end systems to listen to around here. I can't really give qualified advice, but I can say that the Tascam with the Tape Project Tapes takes me to another level.

Greg Beron (I hope I spelled that right) at United Home Audio really helped me out and answered all my dumb questions. Ha, ha... Thanks Greg! He's a member here.

My system starting from the speakers; Martin Logan "Spire" speakers, Ayre V-5xe amp, Cary SLP 98-P w/NOS tubes preamp.

I'd be happy to answer any questions as best as I can.

Ray Satcher

Offline analogmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:25:48 AM »
Hi Rocco,
I'm relatively new here as well.  I have been a fan of tapes since I played with my dad's old reel to reel machine and always wished that there would be new material and new technology because I always knew it would be better than the best digital out there.  Well, I took the full plunge.  I got my Phase 5 deck from United Home Audio over a month ago and my Tape Project tapes have been coming and let me tell you, the realism blows you away.  With the Phase 5 deck, I have also made some sampler tapes from some of my vinyl collection and the copy is closer to the original than any other media transfer I have tried including CD and 1/4" quarter track reel to reel.  It is so satisfying in its presentation that I don't feel I am missing anything from the original recording.  The Tape Project tapes, however, are in a league of their own.  I was skeptical about them at first because who wants to make an $11,000 investment and risk only having 20 titles.  Well, I feel that it is safe to say that more are on their way.  As far as United Home Audio, the machine is easy to operate like the old school home use reel to reels but it is built like a tank and the inner workings of it are like those of a studio machine.  It's like a hybrid:  the best of both worlds.  I used to listen to 80% vinyl and 20% CD.  Now it's 50% tape, 45% vinyl, and 5% CD to give you an idea.  Greg at UHA has been very helpful and patient in answering my questions via telephone and e-mail and he responds quickly with any technical support (I am just an amateur as well).  It is higher maintenance than CD or LP but worth it.  No regrets here.  It's an eye (and more importantly an ear) opener.
Taj
Taj Madiwale
Magnepan 20.1s, Nola thunderbolt subs, Pass Labs X600.5s and XP25 phonostage, ARC Ref 3 pre and Ref 8 CD, VPI Ref Scoutmaster/10.5 arm/Dynavector XV1S cart, Tascam BR20 R2R with United Home Audio Phase 5 upgrade.

Offline rr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »
Thank you, Ray and Taj; I appreciate your comments very much.

I am a little bit surprised that only two people on this forum apparently have any info that they want to share regarding these decks as I thought that The Tape Project Forum would be the "Center of the Universe" when it comes to RTR decks. 

Rocco R
Rocco R.

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:57:48 PM »
Hi Rocco!

Might be just my impression but not too many here are using either Tascams or Greg's modded decks. Think most here are using Studers, Technics, Otaris, Ampexes, Nagra, etc. That might explain the lack of feedback. Though I'm sure there have to be some with knowledge :)
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 05:31:27 PM »
Myles is right Rocco.
But to avoid casting any negative impressions of the United decks let me explain that those machines are very much a new comer to the table.
I only heard of them here late last year and while it might seem like the market would be dominated by "plug and play" machines, at this point it's far from that. Most of us who frequent this forum have been doing our best to optimize machines on our own or having Doc do it for us.
We do try and keep anything but first hand experience to a minimum so unlike a lot of other forums you might frequent, there's not a whole lot of  " I heard,.." or " it would seem like" around here.
So, in this forum there's no shame is saying,.."I honestly don't know".

I can say this from experience though,.. it's the tapes that do most of the heavy lifting as far as creating playback that's out of this world.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 12:43:15 AM »
Rocco,

There has been some other discussion of the UHA-HQ decks on this forum. Have you used the search function and read the previous threads?
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline rr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 08:03:18 AM »
Rocco,

There has been some other discussion of the UHA-HQ decks on this forum. Have you used the search function and read the previous threads?

Yes, I did review the comments via the search function.
Rocco R.

Offline 30ips

• View Profile
A Couple of Questions
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 06:18:07 PM »
Hi RR:

I have two SONY APR 5003's and two Otari MTR-12's that I obtained on Craig's and eBay for an average price of $400 each. They all came from working studios and functioned good enough, but Charlie King helped me tweak the azimuth on one and New Jersey Factory Service (great outfit) helped out on the rest. These machines are readily available as more studios go to ProTools and essentially give away their old and expensive and complicated analog decks.

They sound great, both handle tape very well, and are pro workhorses - not as fussy as prosumer decks if properly set up. However, a non-working APR especially is a dangerous assignment. There is a very fine APR newsgroup that includes many of the service techs who used to service these (and the old MCI) machines. They are always full of good advice, and some still do service work.

Be patient and do not overpay - you will find what you seek.

Andy Pennella (30ips)
Milford, CT

Andy Pennella

I listen with the finest yard sale and Craigslist equipment. Twin SONY APR's, Crown 822, and an Otari MTR12 - total $900...what a country!