Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Would appreciate some info on Studio machines...  (Read 13322 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Would appreciate some info on Studio machines...
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 11:23:25 AM »
Excellent Tod, thanks.
Where did you source the tape guides?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 09:31:21 PM »
Cool, Tod,

I'm very interested in acquiring an A80RC to complement an A820.  Also, considering an A810 or Nagra, possibly, for location recording.  Any thoughts regarding a Studer for field work?

Vbr,
Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline traf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 02:58:38 AM »
The sapfire tape guides I sourced from one-off NOS sale in Switzerland, those were used on some late model headblocks, and can still be found.

Sam, it is quite hard to find a good 15/30UPS machine, but if you can't, there is a relatively easy mod from 15 to 30 UPS (just google studer HS modification), for which you need some parts.

For location recording, I have chosen Nagra 4-S, a great machine for that purpose, running at .5/15 UPS. To be modifies along the lines of the Studers, space permitting (lots of tantal caps that must go, but a great design). My Nagra comes with a lot of ruby stones on the transport, the Swiss watch influence there, and the tape travel is remarkably stable, for the size of this jewel.
There are still quite many good Nagras fs in the US (mine came from a US studio). Very durable/reliable machines.

The A810 can also be used on location, it is "only" 35kg, and of a rather standard size, but the Nagra is way ahead in handling/size/weight, giving very similar sonic results on recording.
Best,
Tod

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 09:11:47 PM »
Tod,

Thanks...I've read/heard favorable remarks of the Nagra IV-S.  Maybe, an A80R/RC and Nagra would be the ticket ;-)
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline Studer Fool

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 06:20:19 PM »
Tod,

You state:
"b) bearings replaced on tape path"
Can you tell more?  Do you source Studer bearings or others (I understand the two sizes used are standard)  Upon replacement what steps to assure tape path alignment did you use (what tools too) - shims did you need to reshim?   ...etc.

Bet you can guess why I'm interested.  Thanks for whatever you can share!

-cdw
Christopher D. Wait
Charter Subscriber SN# 026
Studer A80-VU & Studer A80-RC (and Doc's lovingly modified Ampex 934 with Seduction Tape Head Preamp Combo!)

Offline traf

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 06:10:25 AM »
Bearings:

Upon bearing replacement, note the shims (I used the same)  and assembly order that are used for vertically aligning the guides. You will need the tool to remove the circlip holding the assembly together. Careful - these little clips are soft but have a tendency to fly away during disassembly.

The originals are precision bearings - low noise, but some new models are even better. The SKF 61900 series bearings fit all needs (spooling motors etc) and the eight smaller 3mm ID bearings are easily obtained at higher spec than the Studer originals - either normal 'ZZ' seals or ultra low friction.

NTZ also have some very smooth bearings (used in the Sony APR-5000s).

The most critical place is the large roller under the headblock cover.

Hope this helps,
Tod

Offline Waltzingbear

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 02:14:13 AM »
Be aware that Studer used specific types of lubricants in their bearings, getting a bearing of good quality does not mean that you are getting the correct lubricant. I would advise sticking with Athan, ATR or any other tape parts supplier that is knowledgeable for bearings. George and Mike both stock these parts and are readily available.

As to the A80 vs the A820, well I like the microprocessor control of the A820 vs the mechanical control of the A80/A800. The mechanics will wear and get dirty over time. The only time I have had a problem with an 820 in like areas was when the power supply took a dump and rewrote some of the firmware. Not a common occurrence. Dash pots, bah!

Also you should be aware that very early A820 2track recorders had a different tension sensor, not the roller that most of them had. It was a fixed hard plastic surface that Studer stopped using after a short time and issued a retrofit for. All subsequent machines were issued with the roller tension sensors. 

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio