TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: NY Times; Concord buys Rounder Records  (Read 3316 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
NY Times; Concord buys Rounder Records
« on: May 22, 2010, 01:33:14 AM »
Being from the SF Bay Area I can remember a small popular/easy jazz record company that was based here. They didn't have very many artists I was interested in but they were always a great supporter of the local jazz scene.
Then, a couple of years ago I heard that Concord had bought Fantasy Records and I though to myself, "Surely, that's a different Concord".
I have to admit that I was a little worried that if it was the same Concord, they may have purchased one of my favorite record catalogs just to get some mileage out of the famous name (in some last gasp attempt to stay afloat) and not treat all those priceless master tapes with the respect they deserve. Lucky, they seem to appreciate them more than I could have hoped.
So, instead of me going into an endless ramble, here's an excellent article that has enlightened me on just how all this came about,.. not to mention the link between Archie Bunker and Paul McCartney.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/10/business/media/10concord.html
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline blaupunk

• View Profile
Re: NY Times; Concord buys Rounder Records
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 04:29:01 PM »
Mergers and acquisitions bah humbug!
Didn't Concord also buy Telarc?
It really doesn't matter but whoever bought Telarc effectively killed the creative arm of that company in short order and eliminated a very competent source of excellently recorded and engineered music for CD and SACD.
Way to go.
Charles Vonderheid