Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: What is in a Name?  (Read 3333 times)

Offline blaupunk

• View Profile
What is in a Name?
« on: May 22, 2010, 04:12:58 PM »
I was posting a new thread for the Washington Audio Fest event coming up in June when I hit upon a tangent (me a tangent?) pertaining to the use of the adjective "hobbyist" to describe our pursuit of all things musical.

It strikes me that the use of the word hobbyist is a not so subtle dismissive term for folks with thick glasses, little hair, and lots of time to kill being geeks, or nerds in dimly lit rooms.
OK in my case I have to fess up to the hair, but heh these are only reading glasses, and dim rooms seem to make the music more ethereal OK!
It is unfortunate that  we are perceived as hobbyists by the general public, but I have noticed the use of this description in the premier print audio magazines as well.

I for one never grew up wanting to be a hobbyist, and I am not going to start now.  Just ask any young person if they are (or want to be) a musical/audio hobbyist and wait for the contorted facial expressions to burst forth as in revulsion/consternation.

This may be preaching to the choir since this is a pretty activist crowd, but perhaps the hi end malaise we often read/talk about may be as much the friendly fire of the perceptions painted by the words we allow to characterize our passion.

I don't hear much passion in the word hobbyist do you?

Oh did you know that Blaupunk translates to enthusiast?

That was no coincidence you know!

Heh it was a slow news day and as Steve has noted I have too much time on my hands, but look out folks, the whole home demo project is lurching towards the finish line.
The listening room acoustic treatment and drywall work will be completed by next Tuesday.
Music is not far behind.
Look out Summer.

Charles Vonderheid