Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: BBC Radio Workshop  (Read 2923 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
BBC Radio Workshop
« on: May 26, 2010, 02:51:29 AM »
I've seen little bits of this program before on YouTube. There are 6 parts in all and tonight, I just couldn't stop watching it.
It's a really fascinating story of a small department of the BBC that produced some of their incidental music and soundtracks. But it's also a great intro to some of the experimental music of the era.
And while you may not have been a fan of experimental music of that era, it was fertile ground and for a musician, nothing is as exciting as that.
There is plenty of tape related stuff to watch and in particular, keep an eye on the machine in the spotlight at the 2:50 mark of part 2. Aside from the guy with the long hair,.. what's up with that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKPGzX5kZd0&feature=related
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline kipdent

• View Profile
Re: BBC Radio Workshop
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:10:15 AM »
Just fantastic, Steve! Can you imagine how fun it would have been to have worked there? I play the piano every day and compose pieces that will never see the light of day outside my living room, but I bet I could have had some make it to a broadcast had I worked in that lab! And all those beautiful vintage R2R machines including the A80... It's all just too much!

Kip
Kip Peterson
Vintage-centric system with Apogee Acoustics Scintilla ribbon loudspeakers, Micro Seiki RX-5000 turntable and other odd bits of tube and solid state gear. Now a proud owner of a Studer A80 RC Mk II tape machine!