Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: The Robert Shaw Chorale "On Tour"  (Read 4648 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
The Robert Shaw Chorale "On Tour"
« on: June 11, 2010, 12:55:02 PM »
I know that the boys are interested in releasing a choral work and while I don't really have a bunch of them, I do have a tape of this RCA release. Unfortunately, my tape is pretty worn but it's good enough to tell me that the master of this must be amazing!
The program here has a wonderful variety of pieces from Mozart, Schonberg, Ives, Ravel, and ends with a Russian folk song and the spiritual "Sometimes I Feel Like a Moanin' Dove".

Most selections are with and orchestra (sometimes with an excellent organ with some nice low pedal notes).

The soloists are nicely centered and the arrangements are typical Robert Shaw excellent! And even on my old worn tape, the female vocals just soar!

RCA
FTC-2143

For those who have a greater depth of knowledge of choral works on record (which I don't), feel free to post some suggestions.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Re: The Robert Shaw Chorale "On Tour"
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 07:11:47 PM »
Choral works, huh? Well, there are the usual suspects by Bach (cantatas, Passions, Mass in b-minor, etc) and Handel (Messiah, of course, but a ton of others too - there are some who believe that Theodora is his best choral work). Mozart and Haydn masses, Beethoven's two (Mass in C and Missa Solemnis) and well as a few other works, works by Elgar, Brahms, Vaughan Williams, Dvorak, Mahler and just too many to mention.

Two that I think would be interesting candidates: First, something by Berlioz - Romeo & Juliet, Damnation of Faust or the Requiem (although that really requires surround sound to do it full justice). Thinking outside the box, perhaps something like Harmonium by John Adams - very accessible for a modern work.

Guess there is always Carmina Burana......
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's