TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Microphones  (Read 6246 times)

Offline King Arthur

• View Profile
Microphones
« on: June 13, 2010, 09:40:21 PM »
So what microphones are all you reel to reel nuts using out there? Post some details/pics of your mics and how they sound!
Loves the Otari

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Microphones
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 10:08:02 PM »
Hey Aaron.
Microphone choice depends a great deal upon what and where you're recording. I think most of the guys here that do that sort of thing professionally will have a locker with a selection of current and vintage mics to choose from.
For more casual recording, it's nice to have a pair of mic's with capsules that can be changed to the different pick-up patterns. Of course, you can spend plenty of money on those.

If you're thinking about buying your first set of real microphones, I suggest that you do your homework and start out with something like a lower priced Chinese or maybe a Russian mic and fool around with a pair until you outgrow them. Even a cheap mic can sound great if well placed and the most expensive ones can sound like crap if they aren't.
Here's some good general info;

http://www.shure.com/americas/how-to/index.htm

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/Microphone-University/StereoTechniques.aspx
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline King Arthur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 03:18:39 PM »
At the moment I have a SM57 and a AT-2020 condenser Mic which is actually pretty good considering how cheap it was. I'm looking into getting a ribbon Mic at the moment as I hear they give the best vintage sound..

http://www.coutant.org/reslo/index.html

Aaron
Loves the Otari

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 03:35:38 PM »
A few thoughts:

if you want something sort of universal (not really possible) get two of the same mic, so you can record in stereo

inexpensive ribbon mics are very mellow, aka a little rolled off. The Chinese ones tend to use very thick foil so they are more rolled off than the more expensive classic ribbon mics. I have modified one with thinner foil, but it's still kinda dull on top. The organ, electric guitar and (IIRC) the conga on The Number White were recorded with a Royer stereo ribbon mic - a very high quality ribbon that is more open on top. Ribbons can require a fairly high gain mic preamp. And you can wipe out the ribbon with a single plosive.

the Apex 460 is another cheap but usable mic, and one that responds well to modification. It will give a brighter presentation, and will also be a little more forgiving of mishandling.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
Re: Microphones- stereo ribbons
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »
HI
I second Doc on the ribbon recommendation. Try a Royer Ribbon or B&O 200 with AEA preamp or old Advent mic preamp. SuperNatural sound. They take eq very nicely, as opposed to most condenser mics.

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Portland, Oregon
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline King Arthur

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 05:18:37 PM »
Thanks for the tips. Those royers looks really nice...
Loves the Otari

Offline Romo

• Michael Romanowski
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • tapeproject
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 02:32:18 PM »
The organ, electric guitar and (IIRC) the conga on The Number White were recorded with a Royer stereo ribbon mic -

Also the room sound in front of the drums, so some of the piano sound too. In the mixing, instead of reverb, some signals were sent out to speakers in the tracking room and mic'd with the SF-24.
http://www.royerlabs.com/SF-24.html

romo
Managing Director
The Tape Project