Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: horrors of REAL life  (Read 4199 times)

Offline intell

• View Profile
horrors of REAL life
« on: June 16, 2010, 03:02:28 AM »
Labels Strive to Rectify Past Archival Problems

BY BILL HOLLAND - Today, catalog preservation is more of a priority for the major U.S. record companies than at any time in the history of the century-old industry. But these efforts come too late for untold numbers of recordings, old and not so old, that have been thrown away, mislaid, left behind in warehouses, and even sold for scrap......

more:
http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~presley/elnews-VaultLosses.htm
Best regards! Anton

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
Re: horrors of REAL life
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:58:03 AM »
Thanks for the piece. Made for interesting reading! Loved the line, "were just basically just clerks who wouldn't know Otis Redding from Otis Elevators."

I think Paul has some first hand experience and very strong feelings on what's gone on with the preservation (or lack of) of these tapes over the years too.
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline King Arthur

• View Profile
Re: horrors of REAL life
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:53:27 PM »
Theres actually a website out there of a lot, and I mean A LOT of really old vinyl that one man has converted to digital to preserve... I'll try dig up the link.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 03:55:05 PM by stinkey diver »
Loves the Otari