TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: IEC and NAB eq...  (Read 9344 times)

Offline heideana

• View Profile
IEC and NAB eq...
« on: June 27, 2007, 01:57:09 PM »
Hi all...given that I've got 6 decks that get used fairly frequently, I'm wondering what the effect of having them all set to IEC eq will be?  I'm thinking that the eq is recording only, so that it shouldn't effect the playback of the majority of collection?  Am I understanding this correctly?
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: IEC and NAB eq...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 06:43:43 PM »
IEC and NAB are the playback only, eq.. If you switch all your decks to IEC the playback of almost all prerecorded tapes will be wrong. Your best bet would be to pick your best machine and bypass the playback electronics and use a modded Seduction or one of Doc's Tape Preamps. I'll be getting mine ( the prototype that has been traveling around to CES and the Stereophile shows) in a few days and and should be able to post an " initial impressions" review within a week. After a few weeks I'll do a comparison with my bone stock Seduction once everything is settled in.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:09:26 PM »
I just thought about that last post and Duh!
"IEC and NAB are the playback only, eq."
The tape has to get that eq from somewhere,.. so it can't be just playback.
Sorry, my stupid!

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 11:34:16 AM »
So does that mean it affects both recording and playback, or just playback?

Thanks...Hop
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:58:21 AM »
On most decks, you can set the recording eq to iec but to have it playback correctly, you need to have your playback eq set to iec. If your interested in iec for the Tape Project tapes only, you need to have the playback eq set. The best thing though, is to have it set for switchable nab and iec. Some machines, like Revox/Otari, already come this way. I don't know how involved changing the record eq would be ( Stellavox and others are qualified to answer that question) but compatibility with other machines here in the US would be drastically reduced. NAB and IEC aren't called standards for nothing.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mdlupke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 01:05:37 PM »
The Technics 1520 has selectable PB EQ for NAB and IEC via a switch on the front panel.