TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: The Last Waltz  (Read 14295 times)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
The Last Waltz
« on: June 24, 2010, 06:14:48 PM »
I had really not heard much about "The Band" before TP-016. I didn't even know whether they sang or just played instruments (like other bands). However, after getting TP-016, I saw a release of "The Last Waltz" on blu-ray at Costco (for $9!), so I bought it.  I'm sure that you all know (but I didn't) that this is the acclaimed Martin Scorcese film of The Band's last concert in 1976. In addition to playing many of their top hits (including "Stage Fright") there are a host of celebrity guest performers in the concert. Anyway, it is a semi documentary and concert film, with interviews of The Band members, mostly Robby Robertson, and gives some insight into their formation and playing. I was very impressed by the quality of the playing of all of the members and that the lead vocals were shared among three of the five members.  It also shows that even with PCM 5.1 multichannel sound on bluray, the sound is nothing like the TP tape!

PS. If you don't have bluray, the package contains both bluray and DVD versions of the film. 

Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ed

• View Profile
Re: The Last Waltz
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »
one thing not mentioned in ANY format of The Last Waltz is that ALL of the music was dubbed except for the drums -as Levon would have no part in that...  -read on "the web"

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »
Hey Ed,

I think you'll find that most (if not all) movies which include live performances have at least some of the instruments and vocals dubbed in the studio (post production).
Probably the most famous and perhaps the most extreme case of this were the films of the Beatles Shea Stadium concert.
I'll post some info on that in the General Forum since this is getting a little off topic here.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:24:01 AM »
Hey Ed,

Please read our guidelines for posting. We discourage posts of third-party information, especially cases like this which are sourced only to "read on the web."

We'd like everyone to contribute what they know, and to ask about what they don't know. But unverified "information" like this isn't helpful
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline ed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 08:35:32 PM »
oops! (where is the emoticon for 'egg-on-face'?!)
sorry folks...