TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: MCI JH 110 1/4" 2-track  (Read 15428 times)

Offline andy_p

• View Profile
Re: MCI JH 110 1/4" 2-track
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Charles, I am going to have to get a 1/4 track head on one of the mci's, so much fun ahead! 
Andrew Petty
VPI Aries/SDS, MCI JH 110, technics rs1500, otari mx5050 mkii, tascam br-20, creek cd60, wright sound phono ag, wright sound wpp-100c, promitheus tvc, ARC dual 75, klh model nine, quad esl 57, sonus faber concerto home

Offline andy_p

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 11:51:55 PM »
I ended up getting Terry to rebuild the nagra pinch roller ($40 including shipping ended up being an incredible deal, super nice work).  I had talked to someone in service at trew audio and the nagra part was $200 (you have to buy the entire pinch roller assembly).  I just intalled it and connected a microphone and recorded my first album, I will be calling it "testing 1,2,3,4, with variations".  Have been working on one of the mci machines, I have the 1/4" mono headblock so will probably set up one of the mci's for mono. 
Andrew Petty
VPI Aries/SDS, MCI JH 110, technics rs1500, otari mx5050 mkii, tascam br-20, creek cd60, wright sound phono ag, wright sound wpp-100c, promitheus tvc, ARC dual 75, klh model nine, quad esl 57, sonus faber concerto home

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 11:22:02 AM »
Sounds like you're having a lot of fun Andy.
Sometimes when I think back to when I wasn't involved with magnetic tape and other more hands on audio stuff, I wonder what was keeping my interest up.

On that note, I've wondered just how much it would cost to have a pair of large reel adapters machined? Considering the prices that those things are demanding,(and ones for the Stellavox too) it might be something that could be cloned using CNC technology. Of course you'd need an original.
You might search around and see if there's a Nagra users group (maybe a yahoo group?).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline andy_p

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 12:09:24 PM »
Hi Steve, it crossed my mind after looking at the stellavox adapter.  I looked at the nagra just now to see what sort of tension system there was, I noticed that the feed reel tension is constant for playback and record (from what I can tell there seems to be constant resistance on the spindle either at rest or play).  There is back spin tension on the take up reel on rewind (the feed reel tension feels like it is a brake?).  Without thinking about it much it seems like it might be possible to do something similar to the stellavox units.  I like this nagra iv-l because the overall cost is not very high (for mono) considering the overall quality of the unit so it is a fun project to play around with.  I am excited to do some recording, the person that sold me the jh-110a has a small studio and is also a musician so I might take it over there and have him help me make an acoustic guitar recording to see what the potential is for audio quality.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:52:43 PM by andy_p »
Andrew Petty