Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Interesting Review on some tape accessories  (Read 7866 times)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
Re: Interesting Review on some tape accessories
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 10:05:26 AM »
Hi Myles:

Thanks for the link.

The pullover for RS-1500 seems very comfortable.

However, there seems to be an error in Darklab hubs not being compatible with the Studer A807 and A810:

"The darklab hubs are compatible with most reel-to-reel decks with the possible exception of Studer A807 or A810 machines equipped with the standard trident reel take-up. It turns out that the darklab (or any other brand) fit as well, but for some Studer devices, these adapters are part of the recorders' motor/spindle plate, thus requiring a special adapter. These two systems are, unfortunately, incompatible."

I think it should be Studer A820 with NAB hub with center button adapter that is not compatible but even the A820 adpaters with three-pronged flanges for "Cine" reel work well with the Darklab.
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 11:50:07 AM »
Thanks for the info Myles!
I just might have to order one of those covers for my RS1500. Looks really nice and you can't beat the price!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:37:58 PM »
Hi Myles:

Thanks for the link.

The pullover for RS-1500 seems very comfortable.

However, there seems to be an error in Darklab hubs not being compatible with the Studer A807 and A810:

"The darklab hubs are compatible with most reel-to-reel decks with the possible exception of Studer A807 or A810 machines equipped with the standard trident reel take-up. It turns out that the darklab (or any other brand) fit as well, but for some Studer devices, these adapters are part of the recorders' motor/spindle plate, thus requiring a special adapter. These two systems are, unfortunately, incompatible."

I think it should be Studer A820 with NAB hub with center button adapter that is not compatible but even the A820 adpaters with three-pronged flanges for "Cine" reel work well with the Darklab.

Ki:

You might know better than I but that came from Frank. So I assume that he's had some trouble sometime with those decks?
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Hi Myles:

Judging from the photo in the link and Jeff's site for two types of Darklab hub he has for sale, I think it should work on A807 and A810.  Both A807 and A810 has fixed three-pronged flanges and spring loaded hold down that is very close to the Technics RS shown.

Maybe there's a new model of Darklab hub that works differently than the ones shown in the link but if Frank had used the original Revox mold, I would still say it should work for all Studers other than the removable reel turntables with center push button for A80 and A82Xs.

But then again, I could be wrong...

Thanks,

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 12:56:54 PM »
But then again, I could be wrong...

Thanks,

Ki

I am sure there is a reason but I kind of doubt the above quote!!! LOL!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline Eddiesudz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 08:48:29 PM »
Just so I'm clear..... the hub will work with the A810?
Eddiesudz

Ampex ATR-102 1/4"

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 05:53:24 AM »
Yes it will.

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline Eddiesudz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 04:36:30 PM »
Yes it will.

Jay

Thanks Jay!  I feel much better now since I ordered it last night on a gamble. Can't wait to see them live and in person.

Ed
Eddiesudz

Ampex ATR-102 1/4"

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 04:31:58 PM »
do these only work with lock don spindles on machines like the 1500 and the Pioneer 909/707 machines?  in other words, not on Otari machines or Ampex, etc...
"Music possesses far richer means of expression, and it is a more subtle medium in which to translate the thousand shifting moments in the mood of a soul." - Tchaikovsky

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 05:09:46 PM »
do these only work with lock don spindles on machines like the 1500 and the Pioneer 909/707 machines?  in other words, not on Otari machines or Ampex, etc...

Yes they do all of them except the Otari!!!

Jay