Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: New High for Sax Colossus!  (Read 7576 times)

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
New High for Sax Colossus!
« on: July 07, 2010, 06:59:47 PM »
Check this auction out on the bay from yesterday-

http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=110553263777

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Portland, Oregon
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
Re: New High for Sax Colossus!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 07:55:13 PM »
Check this auction out on the bay from yesterday-

http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=110553263777

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Portland, Oregon

As PT Barnum said there's a sucker born every day :) What do you do with it once you get it? Frame it or play it?
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 07:31:53 AM »
Myles,
That's a pretty good question!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline Romo

• Michael Romanowski
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • tapeproject
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 12:14:24 AM »
Whoever would spend that kind of money, I would guess, would be a framer.
Managing Director
The Tape Project

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 12:30:09 AM »
Wow Myles,
That's some serious money!

One pretty interesting thing is checking the sellers feedback. Almost all the "winners" of these jazz classic originals are return customers. They must all be satisfied with their purchases so at least the records must really be mint as the seller states. I guess if I was in the position to pay that kind of money, I'd be glad that there was a seller on eBay that deals in actual mint condition records like this.
Heck, and some of the 1500 series Blue Notes sold for less than $1k!
If you look past the first page of feedback, there was a Sax Colossus that went for $2850.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 06:34:53 AM »
Wow Myles,

One pretty interesting thing is checking the sellers feedback. Almost all the "winners" of these jazz classic originals are return customers. They must all be satisfied with their purchases so at least the records must really be mint as the seller states. I guess if I was in the position to pay that kind of money, I'd be glad that there was a seller on eBay that deals in actual mint condition records like this.
If you look past the first page of feedback, there was a Sax Colossus that went for $2850.

Man, I gotta start hunting down a few of those original BNs!!! Wouldn't take too many of them at the price and could order a pair of Wilson Maxxs :) Or Magicos!
Myles B. Astor

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 06:45:21 AM »
Wow Myles,

Man, I gotta start hunting down a few of those original BNs!!! Wouldn't take too many of them at the price and could order a pair of Wilson Maxxs :) Or Magicos!
For the kind of money I could buy a whole lot of BN 45's and have some change!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »
is this surprising?  or not...  this is what happens when too much money gets concentrated into the hands of too few people, as the current economic dilemma has clearly shown, the overtly wealthy have no corner on intelligence.  And the price of our hobby gets to be prohibitive for many of us on a beer budget...  the upside is that many people that would have just thrown out those tapes and records are now seeing that there is gold in them thar hills...  and if you think that these are crazy prices, try being a comic book collector, truly insane!
"Music possesses far richer means of expression, and it is a more subtle medium in which to translate the thousand shifting moments in the mood of a soul." - Tchaikovsky