Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: tandberg td 20a se service  (Read 7306 times)

Offline robert butler

• View Profile
tandberg td 20a se service
« on: July 25, 2010, 05:29:26 PM »
 i have a tandberg td 20a se that has wow and flutter problem. any thouhts on this ? also does any one know how to locate nick a tech in new york who serviced my deck 14 yrs.,a phone # would be nice?                                                                                                                                                      thanks

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
Re: tandberg td 20a se service
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 06:30:54 PM »
Try Peter at Soundsmith. He has probably worked on more Tandberg gear than anyone else in the US. What a great guy and operation!

The Soundsmith
8 John Walsh Blvd.
Suite 417
Peekskill, NY 10566 USA
(914) 739-2885

Rich Brown
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:49:38 AM »
i have a tandberg td 20a se that has wow and flutter problem. any thouhts on this ? also does any one know how to locate nick a tech in new york who serviced my deck 14 yrs.,a phone # would be nice?                                                                                                                                                      thanks

If this is the same guy, he has moved to Chicago.

1-773-868-9644

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 12:58:36 PM »
Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum.
I tried to find the service manual for the 20 series Tanberg's but couldn't find it.

IIRC, that machine uses a belt for the capstan drive. If that's the case, that's the first place I'd look.
If you haven't used the machine for a while, those belts tend to harden in the shape it was stored at. And since it loops around 2 ends, you end up with a belt that is oval shaped and will cause an audible speed changes as it thumps it way around.
Some belts turn to goo with age and these obviously need to be replaced too.

It could also be caused by gunk in the tape path. Carefully cleaning every surface that the tape contacts is important to keep the tape speed consistent. Take a good light and magnifier and clean your tape path paying close attention to the inside corners of all the guides. If there are any rotating surfaces, be sure that those are spinning freely.

Hope this helps.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline robert butler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 04:55:54 PM »
thanks guys for the suggestions !!!! it is not the tape path, i tried playing a sticky tape and ended up with  20 minutes cleaning time then trid a new tape but still wow and flutter.the belt is agood idea,though i might try sending out for service since i hve discovered extra noise in the plyback eletronics.