TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: What is a Tape Project tape?  (Read 12479 times)

Offline cupboy

• View Profile
What is a Tape Project tape?
« on: July 31, 2010, 09:00:55 PM »
I'm a bit new here. Have no idea what these tapes are. Are they 2 track or quarter track, what speed. How much do they cost or do you need a "subscription" ? Some link someone can refer me to ?

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: What is a Tape Project tape?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 09:49:45 PM »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline ozzmittel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 02:25:54 AM »
Here you go:

http://www.tapeproject.com/

It's cool. But i can't find too which tape use TP for releases.
It's RMGI or ATR or other?
It's SM911 or SM468?

And why TP don't use long play tape like LPR35?
Andy Login

Studer A820, Studer A810, Studer A807, Nagra T Audio TC, Revox G36, Technics RS1506, Technics RS1700, Technics RS777, Teac X2000R, Akai GX77, Ilet 102

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 02:51:49 AM »
Hey ozzmittel,

The Tape Project uses RMGI 468.
To make long play tapes, the backing is thinner. When the backing is thinner, tape problems such as print through and stretching are much more common. Also, many of the long term issues which can occur from less than idea storage become severe more easily.
I collect old tapes and it's amazing how great 50 year old tapes can sound. But it didn't take long before I realized that I should pass on any of the "long play" tapes. Almost none of those ever sound very good (and some are downright unplayable).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline ozzmittel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 04:16:06 AM »
The Tape Project uses RMGI 468.

Thanks

But why RMGI and why SM468?

SM468 vs SM911

RMGI vs ATR vs Zonal (ATR make tapes in the USA!)

Quality, Price, Long time life, etc...

IMHO: SM911 is better but maybe SM468 is cheaper?

And 1 more question:
TP 1" master is SM468 too?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 04:57:04 AM by ozzmittel »
Andy Login

Studer A820, Studer A810, Studer A807, Nagra T Audio TC, Revox G36, Technics RS1506, Technics RS1700, Technics RS777, Teac X2000R, Akai GX77, Ilet 102

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 03:41:23 PM »
We started the project before the ATR tape was available in 1/4" and we chose to do an entire series on one brand of tape. In our opinion SM911 is not the better choice than SM468. The thing 911 does is allow you to slam the tape harder with signal - useful if you are recording something hot and you want some headroom, not really useful in mastering. We have found that SM468 is superior in its archival qualities at the levels we record the tapes. Some running masters are on 468, some are on ATR. The tapes sound quite similar.

I think that this and most of your other questions have been discussed on the forum in the past and I suggest doing some browsing through the archives.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline TonyB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 08:45:05 AM »
Hi Dan,

What tape would you use to record live sound with good archiving properties? US Recording Media seem to suggest that for the live sound SM900 is the best: "recording live material, we strongly suggest SM900 for the increased dynamic range, headroom, and lowest noise characteristics. SM900 tends to be the most transparent tape with an amazing sound field."

At the same time they do not speak of 468 that highly: "RMGI 468 is designed for more non critical applications, but still has a large following for its sound." I would think the Tape Project is critical enough  :-)

You mentioned that 468 is excellent for archiving at the levels you use. Archiving is definitely important. What levels do you use in the TP?

TIA<

TonyB

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 10:32:12 AM »
We record the Tape Project albums at 250nWb/M on SM468 because it sounds great and the signal retention over time is excellent. For live recording I would suggest giving ATR Master Tape a try. Here's a link to the specs:

http://www.atrtape.com/pdf/ATR%20Tech%20Web.pdf
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline TonyB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 10:52:03 AM »
Thanks, Doc.

I thought these were the reasons behind your use of 468.

Unfortunately, US Recording does not ship outside of USA and the local Toronto supply only sells SM900 and SM911. For copies I should try 468 at 250nWb.

Regards,

TonyB

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 01:15:57 PM »
Hey Tony,

I second Doc's suggestion of using ATR tape for live recording. It has the widest dynamic range and that's one of the things you should look for when recording live instruments and voice. If you want to try it out, there's a guy on eBay with one for sale who's in Montreal. If you like it, you can buy cases directly from ATR (or maybe you can talk Mike into singles?).
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline TonyB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 01:23:27 PM »
Thanks, Steve.

I found a person in Montreal whos link is on ATR web site. The price is the same as on ebay, 10% higher than in USA. The other prices are not as nice: $49/$69 HAN D MAG becomes $125 here.

Regards,

TonyB