Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Lamps for Otari MTR-10  (Read 13155 times)

Offline dodgeaspen

• Conceptions Of Fate
    • View Profile
Lamps for Otari MTR-10
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:48:02 PM »
I'm sure this is the wrong place for this but I didn't know where else to put it. I'm looking for the lamps for the RR FF buttons. I've not taken it apart to get a part number because the new lamp is not in my hand yet. I can't find it in the manual. Can anyone give me a part number and tell me where to buy them? Thanks.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Lamps for Otari MTR-10
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 10:34:35 PM »
Hey dodgeaspen (btw, we use our real names here and you can put that in your forum signature in the user control panel),
Sorry, I don't have the number for the button lamps for your MTR-10 but  here's a link to the most likely place you'll be able to purchase them (this and many other useful links are located in the Reel to Reel links sticky above the General Forum);

http://www.bulbtronics.com/default.aspx

It seems like lots of manuals don't list the part numbers for items like lamps. I wouldn't doubt if year to year changes in OEM providers is the reason for this.
There are some pretty standard bulb and socket shapes. Once you know the shape, socket type and length, all that's left is knowing the voltage and amps rating. Those last two are usually stamped on the socket. Some unusual shapes only have one or two manufacturers left so the ratings for what's available may be different. Those usually don't have to be absolutely exact either and will only vary the light intensity a little. Once you confirm the size and shape it's a good idea to buy a several so if there's much of a difference in intensity you can replace them all so they match. If you have to make a choice, over rate the voltage and amps so they'll last a long time.

If you want to look at some of the shapes check out this site;

http://www.mcmaster.com/#miniature-light-bulbs/=8g9qwv
Download the pdf for pages 678-679
Bulbtronics has many more sizes and ratings but it's harder to find the bulb you want without a number.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline dodgeaspen

• Conceptions Of Fate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:23:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply. The pages you suggested should help. Since I'm on several different forums I just have my user as dodgeaspen, it makes it simple. I'm cool with changing it tho because their is so much information here to be consumed. Thanks again.

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 07:04:09 PM »
Howdy, dodgeaspen, did you ever find those lamps?  I am in need of several myself, thanks
"Music possesses far richer means of expression, and it is a more subtle medium in which to translate the thousand shifting moments in the mood of a soul." - Tchaikovsky

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:52:19 AM »
I just have my user as dodgeaspen, it makes it simple.

That's absolutely fine. We just ask that folks put their real name in the signature that comes up at the end of your post. I know some folks think this is stupid and that we are in some way suppressing them by doing this. We don't really have a control issue, we do it to help keep comments in perspective and hopefully that makes them more useful as the forum evolves into an archive of tape related info.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline GLouie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 03:54:29 PM »
I'm sure this is the wrong place for this but I didn't know where else to put it. I'm looking for the lamps for the RR FF buttons. I've not taken it apart to get a part number because the new lamp is not in my hand yet. I can't find it in the manual. Can anyone give me a part number and tell me where to buy them? Thanks.

Hi all, first post.

The MTR-10 transport button lamps are "grain of wheat" style, frosted, with bare wire leads. They would come from Otari in a white rectangular plastic carrier with the wires threaded onto the sides as contacts. There's 2 sizes of carrier, since the cue button is smaller. The original accessories kit came with a couple of spare lamps-in-carriers, and you reused the colored tops. I think it runs off the 5volt supply, so I'd guess a nominal 6volt lamp would work. Current or brightness - dunno. The bulb is about 3mm diameter.

Where I work, we have 2 machines since new (1984), and I've changed, maybe, 1 lamp. But I did order spares 20 years ago, and it appears to have the part number of WH11117U, but that might be the number of the whole switch assembly, ready to solder onto the button board. I don't see anything but the whole button board in the parts list (PB-75V). Sorry, spares belong to the State of Washington!

I would look for grain-o-wheat bulbs and replace them in the carriers.
Gary Louie
Seattle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 09:00:58 PM »
Hey Gary,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for that description of the button lights.
From your description and your past experience, it sounds like it would be worth pulling the bulbs in their carriers and testing them to be sure it isn't just the contacts that are bad. You could check them with a battery easily and perhaps just increasing the contact area and/or cleaning them would get them to light up (if they test OK).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 09:04:39 PM »
Thanks Gary, that part number does not come up with anything on Google, but I can use your info to buy some bulbs from Mouser and make them work, I am guessing...
"Music possesses far richer means of expression, and it is a more subtle medium in which to translate the thousand shifting moments in the mood of a soul." - Tchaikovsky

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 11:39:06 PM »
Hey you guys.
I'm not sure if you ever had any luck finding your bulbs.
I stumbled across some pretty good pictures of grain of wheat type bulbs and they might help in your search. They're real cheap so you might just buy the ones that look like they should fit and get the bulb style number from them then search for the suitable voltage at Bulbtronics. Take a look;

http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/vlamp.html
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 09:26:41 PM »
Thanks, Steve, I just ordered a lamp, along with other items, from mouser.com, just about the same price, mouser doesn't have as big a selection, but the lamp I ordered is a 5v lamp.  From what I have read, the lamp is run at low voltage, and when engaged, runs higher to give the "on" look.  I measured the rails and it's 5v, so a 5v may not be the right value...

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 04:08:29 PM »
got the lamps today, and they work perfectly!  While not frosted like the originals. the lumen output is the same as the originals in both  standby and use mode, the mouser.com part number is: 606-cm680

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 09:55:59 PM »
Good deal Randy!
Stock up.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline GLouie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 10:22:04 PM »
got the lamps today, and they work perfectly!  While not frosted like the originals. the lumen output is the same as the originals in both  standby and use mode, the mouser.com part number is: 606-cm680

Good find - I'll have to make a note of that!
Gary Louie
Seattle

Offline dodgeaspen

• Conceptions Of Fate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 10:08:12 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback. I've had some trouble with my junkbox (computer) and lost some of my websites. I will be ordering the lamps soon. I did end up buying the lamps for the Vu's I installed them without a problem.

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 07:01:44 PM »
I just went completely through two MTR-10's.  The bulbs in the function switches were fine but a few of those in the VU meters were out.  These bulbs are tubular, around 1/8" diameter by 9/16" long, with wires sticking out each end.  MCM electronics has what looks like identical bulbs in both 8V (#25-450 for 72 cents) and 12V (25-455 for 40 cents).  I ordered a bunch of both and will let you know which seems to be the closest to "stock".

Charles