Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: B-Head Tube Repro Configurations?  (Read 4898 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
B-Head Tube Repro Configurations?
« on: September 01, 2010, 10:28:21 PM »
It was quite a while ago when I posted my impressions and tube rolling experiences with the Tube Repro.
At the time I was just hoping to give a little guidance to new owners of what's still one of my favorite audio purchases. I'm glad to see that many of you have struck off on your own to find that "magic" combination of tubes and cables that works in your systems.

I'm pretty good at getting the ball rolling but I have to admit that I kinda settle into a comfort zone and forget some of the things I meant to try.
I'm still using the TFK 806s or GEC 4085 and an Amperex 7308 most of the time. The cables are still Silver Audio Silver Breeze phono cable between my Technics and the Repro and an Appassionatta IC between the Repro and whatever.

So, I'd love to hear what other Repro owners are using.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: B-Head Tube Repro Configurations?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 09:34:30 AM »
I'm using Tele EF806S and a gold pin 7308 too. We're using some cables made here in the lab from some long crystal copper wire I had around that is now unobtanium for signal cold, some Alpha teflon insulated solid core wire for signal hot, and some Belden braided shield, with Neutrik Pro-Fi RCA plugs. I'm coming off the single ended output, running into a new line stage we are working on. Not quite ready to release the details on that, except that I'm pretty pleased with the results.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 10:50:39 PM »
Ok guys I am also using the Tele 806S's and a Tele 6922, I was using the Amperex 7308 until I tried the Tele 6922. For cables I am using Audioquest between the Repro and the Otari and some homebrew wire from the head to the RCA's. I found this combo works in my system very well. I am soon to be getting my Studer modded for direct head output can't wait for that!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 07:06:12 PM »
Roll some E188CC's through. Found some Valvo's and haven't looked back. Though the Mullard Master Series 10M ECC88's are calling to me.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1