Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Basic head alignment Revox B77  (Read 5487 times)

Offline B77 man

• View Profile
Basic head alignment Revox B77
« on: September 03, 2010, 06:16:57 AM »
Hiya folks,  This seems like a site with a wealth of information and intelligent users too.  I have just completed a full restoration of my Teac X-10r and am over the moon with the results.  The most time consuming job however was aligning the heads hmmm yes all 6 of them!  Anyway I managed to get hold of the service manual for the X-10 and it detailed how to get a course alignment of the heads before fiddling about with the electronics.  It showed in detailed pictures how to get a basic setting of all the heads by visually aligning them with guide posts next to them and adjusting the height by looking directly at the tape as it passed over the heads so you could adjust the head so that you could just not see the head core on either edge of the tape.  This procedure was excellent and was rather straight forward as you could see what was actually going on by loading a tape and see how it was running by looking directly at the tape path as it travelled on it's merry way across the entire head path.  However you can NOT do this on the Revox B77 as it is physically impossible because the lower control panel obstructs ones view of the tape path.  So I am pleading with anyone and quite a few do from what I have read on the site, could they  possibly help me out here, nothing too technical just a coarse alignment technique on the B77 please.  I have trawled the net for service manuals and indeed downloaded a couple but when it comes to the head alignment they state it would be best to have a registered Revox service engineer to do the work which kind of contradicts the point in having the service manual available in the first place.   Any help would be much appreciated many thanks
Chris

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Basic head alignment Revox B77
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 11:27:20 AM »
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum.
 I'm not sure how the B77 is set up but whenever I do visual/optical alignment of the heads, I remove the headblock. The headblock includes the guides. The guides that lead into and out of the headblock are non-adjustable so everything is referenced to them.
Using clear leader tape helps too (I'm not sure where to buy clear anymore but I had a used tape that had some on it already so I just took it off of it).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades