Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Storing tapes under (Studer) tape deck OK?  (Read 4912 times)

Offline Teeg

• View Profile
Storing tapes under (Studer) tape deck OK?
« on: September 22, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »
  My A80VU roll-around cart has two cross braces at almost floor level; at first glance it looks like it would be easy to fabricate a shelf that could sit on the braces and allow storage for perhaps a dozen or more NAB reels in boxes. The reels would wind up sitting a few inches from the mechanicals on the underside of the transport. I'm not sure if this is a good/bad idea or not an issue at all....thinking in terms of any possible magnetic energy that could harm the tapes. I see people put tapes on top of the bridge assembly all of the time, never seen any under the transport. All of that storage area is appealing in my tight audio room. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tj
T.j. Bassi  
    Martin Logan reQuests....Martin Logan Descent x 2....Atma-Sphere MA1 OTL amplification....Krell KPS25s digital front end....VPI Scoutmaster....Studer A80 VU MKII....Ampex 300-2 Tube/SS Playback "Ampexius Maximus"....Ampex MR-70

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Storing tapes under (Studer) tape deck OK?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 07:58:28 PM »
Hey Tj,

I don't see any reason why you couldn't.
My WAG why there never was a storage rack option on any rolling stands is that you might have to remove it while servicing the machine or placing it in storage (with machines that can swing to a vertical profile).
Also, in a professional environment, having room for storage of 15-20 tapes would just become a good place to put a tape instead of where it really belongs.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Teeg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 08:38:56 PM »
 Thanks, Steve. I stared at the deck some more tonight and had basically the same thoughts. The A80 cabinet is fully enclosed on the sides which is another reason that area seems useful for storage; unlike the other models which have 'framework' stands, the A80 cabinet hides anything that is under it.
  I wonder if Ki has any opinions on this....he's usually pretty good when it comes to anything Studer.

tj
T.j. Bassi  
    Martin Logan reQuests....Martin Logan Descent x 2....Atma-Sphere MA1 OTL amplification....Krell KPS25s digital front end....VPI Scoutmaster....Studer A80 VU MKII....Ampex 300-2 Tube/SS Playback "Ampexius Maximus"....Ampex MR-70

Offline jdza

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 08:35:25 AM »
Wow.I would be too scared that I forget about the tapes and then do a demag on the machine with the tapes in very close proximity.
Johan Dreyer

Offline deeng

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:41:58 AM »
On my A80 the power supply and its transformer would be very close to your proposed shelf.  I'd personally be reluctant to put my Tape Project tapes in that location.

Scott
Scott Dean