Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Next Bay Area Get Together?  (Read 10896 times)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Next Bay Area Get Together?
« on: October 11, 2010, 09:55:33 PM »
It has been awhile since we have had one in the Bay Area....hey this would be a great time to announce Series III!!!

Go Giants!!!

Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Re: Next Bay Area Get Together?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:12:42 AM »
Hi Tom, I'll be back from London next week. Hope to have my new Bottlehead phono preamp set up soon thereafter. I'd be happy to host again sometime in November after all is in place. Some new (old) stuff in my rig, including a major digital!! setup.  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
I'm going to have a very hard time letting that preamp go after listening to it in the system at the Magico room at RMAF (Brinkmann turntable, Bottlehead Tube Phono, Spectral preamp and amps, Magico Q5s). It was sounding really goooood.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 01:27:56 PM »
I'm up for a little get together!
Hopefully you can pry that new phono stage out of Dan's ears before we get there Larry. It sure looks nice.

Hey Doc, a post regarding your experiences at RMAF would be cool. It looked like there were a couple of other r2r sources there.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 09:54:29 AM »
It will be tough to let it go, but Larry's preamp will ship down next week as soon as the Pelican shipping case we ordered for it gets here. I will post some about RMAF over the weekend. We're getting ready for our open house tomorrow night and we still have about six zillion things to take care of. My truck has about 400 lbs of unassembled Ikea furniture in the back of it...
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 08:32:59 PM »
Hi Folks, we're just back from across the pond and I can't wait until my phono pre arrives from Bainbridge Island!  Glad your open house went well, Dan.  I'll be talking to Tim M about the RMAF show. Got to go to bed now.  When I get things in place we'll have a got together.   Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 09:45:14 PM »
Well, I've gotten my system back in shape, with some new goodies, particularly if you are interested in digitizing any of your analogue collection. My latest addition is Bottlehead's new Phono Pre with variable EQ.  It is the first they have built and was at the RMAF last month.  Dan was here this week doing the final tweaks and it is working great. My digital system will allow us to listen to the original vinyl and tapes and compare them directly to the digital copies.  In addition to the Phono Pre, I have been using my Bottlehead Repro Technics 1506 to rip both 4 track and 2 track tapes, using Steve Koto's Dolby B decoder for Barclay-Crocker tapes.  I am capturing files using my Pacific Microsonics Model Two ADAC, with Pyramix software and a Mykerinos card, all at 192/24.  So far, this sounds the best of the different devices I have tried. The Pyramix software and Mykerinos card are being borrowed from Tim Muratani while mine is being fabricated. 

Anyway, we can have a gathering at my home in the East Bay as early as next Saturday, November 20. Other dates are December 4 or 5 or December 11 or 12.  Normally we start around noon or so and have a potluck lunch. We'll have some nice adult beverages which may make everything sound better.

Please let me know if you are interested in coming and what dates work best for you. 

Thanks, Larry

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:11:18 AM by astrotoy »

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 10:55:34 PM »
Excellent Larry!
I'm anxious to hear the new phono preamp.
This weekend won't work for me unfortunately but most any other time will.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 05:07:13 PM »
Hi folks, 

Looks like Sunday, December 5th starting at about 1PM works best for a gathering at Chez Toy in Orinda.  Please let me know if you are able to attend. I'll PM you the details.  Larry

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 12:54:13 AM »
Just thought I'd chime in here and say that I'll be there for sure!
Looking forward to it.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 12:57:49 AM »
I'll be there as well!

Thanks,

Tom
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline oneobgyn

• View Profile
    • Doctor's Rx
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 10:28:29 AM »
I'm hoping to be there as well Larry.

I would be happy to host the next Bay Area event
There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
Tape Project Charter Member #088
Link to my system  http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1049587927

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Thanks Larry!
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 11:15:27 PM »
I just got home from our get together at astrotoy's.
Sorry to say that TomR and oneobgyn wasn't able to make it but all the same, I had a wonderful time and as always, Larry was the perfect host.

Larry's system is sounding really great and it was interesting to hear about his journey to put together the finest analog to digital archiving system.
The results are head and shoulders better than any other digital playback I've heard. It was particularly gratifying for me to hear just how good the Dolby decoder I'd built for him sounded with the Barclay-Crocker tapes he'd archived.

It's always fun to get together with other members from this forum.
Thanks again Larry!
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 11:34:21 PM »
Yes, thanks again Larry for everything. You have achieved great things with your system in terms of overall sound and versatility in playing back various sources both analog and digital at quality levels that in some cases were only a dream when the media was made! Not to mention the digital high resolution archiving that other Steve just mentioned.
I must admit however this is the first time I have A/B'd the sound of various digital storage media at the same resolution.
The whole thing - all the talk and music was really fun. Thanks to all for making a great audio get together!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 12:01:13 AM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 01:11:25 AM »
I was really sorry to have missed it, especially given that I was a confirmed show until the last minute. One of my clients received a buyout offer on Friday, which was set to expire on Monday. Sunday was a day of many conference calls - I couldn't get away.
Thomas Ream