Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Interesting Review on some tape accessories  (Read 7858 times)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
Re: Interesting Review on some tape accessories
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 10:05:26 AM »
Hi Myles:

Thanks for the link.

The pullover for RS-1500 seems very comfortable.

However, there seems to be an error in Darklab hubs not being compatible with the Studer A807 and A810:

"The darklab hubs are compatible with most reel-to-reel decks with the possible exception of Studer A807 or A810 machines equipped with the standard trident reel take-up. It turns out that the darklab (or any other brand) fit as well, but for some Studer devices, these adapters are part of the recorders' motor/spindle plate, thus requiring a special adapter. These two systems are, unfortunately, incompatible."

I think it should be Studer A820 with NAB hub with center button adapter that is not compatible but even the A820 adpaters with three-pronged flanges for "Cine" reel work well with the Darklab.
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 11:50:07 AM »
Thanks for the info Myles!
I just might have to order one of those covers for my RS1500. Looks really nice and you can't beat the price!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:37:58 PM »
Hi Myles:

Thanks for the link.

The pullover for RS-1500 seems very comfortable.

However, there seems to be an error in Darklab hubs not being compatible with the Studer A807 and A810:

"The darklab hubs are compatible with most reel-to-reel decks with the possible exception of Studer A807 or A810 machines equipped with the standard trident reel take-up. It turns out that the darklab (or any other brand) fit as well, but for some Studer devices, these adapters are part of the recorders' motor/spindle plate, thus requiring a special adapter. These two systems are, unfortunately, incompatible."

I think it should be Studer A820 with NAB hub with center button adapter that is not compatible but even the A820 adpaters with three-pronged flanges for "Cine" reel work well with the Darklab.

Ki:

You might know better than I but that came from Frank. So I assume that he's had some trouble sometime with those decks?
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Hi Myles:

Judging from the photo in the link and Jeff's site for two types of Darklab hub he has for sale, I think it should work on A807 and A810.  Both A807 and A810 has fixed three-pronged flanges and spring loaded hold down that is very close to the Technics RS shown.

Maybe there's a new model of Darklab hub that works differently than the ones shown in the link but if Frank had used the original Revox mold, I would still say it should work for all Studers other than the removable reel turntables with center push button for A80 and A82Xs.

But then again, I could be wrong...

Thanks,

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 12:56:54 PM »
But then again, I could be wrong...

Thanks,

Ki

I am sure there is a reason but I kind of doubt the above quote!!! LOL!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline Eddiesudz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 08:48:29 PM »
Just so I'm clear..... the hub will work with the A810?
Eddiesudz

Ampex ATR-102 1/4"

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 05:53:24 AM »
Yes it will.

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline Eddiesudz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 04:36:30 PM »
Yes it will.

Jay

Thanks Jay!  I feel much better now since I ordered it last night on a gamble. Can't wait to see them live and in person.

Ed
Eddiesudz

Ampex ATR-102 1/4"

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 04:31:58 PM »
do these only work with lock don spindles on machines like the 1500 and the Pioneer 909/707 machines?  in other words, not on Otari machines or Ampex, etc...
"Music possesses far richer means of expression, and it is a more subtle medium in which to translate the thousand shifting moments in the mood of a soul." - Tchaikovsky

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 05:09:46 PM »
do these only work with lock don spindles on machines like the 1500 and the Pioneer 909/707 machines?  in other words, not on Otari machines or Ampex, etc...

Yes they do all of them except the Otari!!!

Jay