TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Otari MX5050 felt pad...  (Read 5217 times)

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
Otari MX5050 felt pad...
« on: October 22, 2010, 06:39:08 AM »
howdy, does anyone here know what the felt pad used around the capstan is?  I removed the dust cap from the capstan to put a little oil as per the maintenance instructions but when I removed the dust cap there was no felt pad, only a rubber ring around the capstan and what looked like a little bit of foam... thanks
"Music possesses far richer means of expression, and it is a more subtle medium in which to translate the thousand shifting moments in the mood of a soul." - Tchaikovsky

Offline bobschneider

• View Profile
Re: Otari MX5050 felt pad...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »
On my MX5050s it's a ring of white felt.  It absorbs oil, and presumably releases it to the capstan bearing as needed.  I'd think any absorbent felt would work OK here as long as it's the right size.
Bob Schneider

Offline dollysowner

• View Profile
Re: Otari MX5050 felt pad...
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 03:38:53 PM »
My MX5050B-II also has the ring of foam.  I think Bobschneider's description of its purpose is correct.

Be very sure that you're using the correct kind of oil for the capstan.  The Otari manual says that only one specified kind of oil should be used on the motor.  If you don't have the correct oil, you can purchase it from MDI Precision Motor Works.