TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: piece by piece it comes together  (Read 11671 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
piece by piece it comes together
« on: August 16, 2007, 07:16:58 PM »
Here's a pic of the sample reel flanges we received this week. Many months of waiting and many thousands spent on tooling have paid off! We have given the go ahead to have these produced and hope to see them in the next month.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
Re: piece by piece it comes together
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 11:46:09 AM »
Very nice!

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline Danny Kaey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 03:08:32 PM »
interesting how perception can be deceitful -

I was expecting them to be red anodized, with a silver logo and the custom holes... they turned out the exact opposite!

could that become an option someday?
SonicFlare
www.sonicflare.com

US Editor | The Inner Ear
www.innerearmag.com

Senior Assistant Editor | Positive-Feedback Online
www.positive-feedback.com

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 03:31:40 PM »
could that become an option someday?

Sure, how many thousand were you planning to order? ;^)>

We looked into color anodizing them, and I may have posted a photo of an early conceptual model of a red flange with a laser engraved logo. The quote we got for color anodizing nearly doubled our already high cost. Laser engraving didn't looked as nice as the silkscreen and was also quite a bit more expensive then we had imagined.

When we get the production run in I may take a couple flanges to a polishing shop. I think a mirror finish might be pretty outrageous.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 05:38:45 PM »
Looks great with the red hub. Speaking of polishing aluminum, have you ever used Mother's Aluminum and Mag cleaner. It's a polishing paste and it is amazing with stuff like tube shields and old metal knobs. Not quite a mirror finish but pretty damn close. It would take some elbow grease to do something that big though.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline beefman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 10:48:03 PM »
Oy... here we go. "Hey, honey?? Can you watch the kids for an hour or so? No no, nothing's wrong. I just need to polish my reels and gotta get the tape spooled off before I can..."
Jeff Kane
Owner of many decks; in possession of few!

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
they're heyeeer...
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 07:07:02 PM »
In am at the moment sitting in the lobby at 1340 Mission next to a pallet that has 1895 Tape Project flanges on it. Across the room are the first 30 of 1000 Tape project boxes due by month's end. Over on the front desk is our new CNC engraving mill.

And now the fun, and work, begins...

By the way - as always I can't say who until the paper is signed - but we just got word of strong interest by a record label exec in licensing a title for 2008 that we had very high on our list of potential albums from early on in the project. It appears that the word is getting around amongst the labels about the project, meaning that more and more interesting titles should be coming available to us in the future.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 09:07:42 PM »
Doc B,
These reels are absolutely gorgeous. Do you have any idea when they will actually be available to purchase? And, what will be the cost per reel? You all have done an outstanding job and I want to commend everyone involved. Thank you all for a job very well done.

Bob Williams
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 11:02:48 PM »
Heavy duty Doc! Now all you need is to run down to the hardware store and grab 5,685 screws and barrel bolts.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 09:11:22 PM »
strong interest by a record label exec in licensing a title for 2008 that we had very high on our list of potential albums from early on in the project

so you have not shipped any 2007 tape and you're already selling us your 2008 list?

what genre is this so expected album?

this is cool!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 09:22:42 PM by xcortes »
Xavier Cortes

Offline Romo

• Michael Romanowski
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • tapeproject
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 11:23:19 AM »
The Boxes and reels look Really REELY good together. Along with the sounds of the tapes, this is going to be something very special.
Yes, we are already working on 2008. Gotta stay a few steps ahead. The licsnsing can take awhile so to insure we have the title we (and You) want we have to be looking ahead. I can say that next year looks even better. Especially if the word spreads and labels realize that we are serious, and serious about doing it with the utmost respect to the music. Maybe Ya'll can help spread the word and call your favorite label and encourage them to jump on board.
Thanks everyone. WhooHoo
Michael
Managing Director
The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 01:55:39 PM »
Hey Michael, regarding contacts with the labels, is there a dept. that we should address our requests to? I would think that if we just contacted customer service, our info could get lost long before it got to somebody with any clout. I mean, that new guy over at Sony/Columbia looks like he's pretty cool, but I can't imagine all the suits that are playing defense between us and him. Actually, I think we should sneak into his office and set up a r2r with a demo tape and he'd never be the same. I believe in the " seed theory " of advertising. Find one influential person and pass the ball to him/her and let nature take it's course.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 08:32:14 AM »
Here's another piece of the puzzle. I finished prototyping these custom printed gold foil labels for the album slip covers yesterday. The top label will have a picture of the original album cover and the lower label contains the catalog number, playback info, and the serial number. The box on the left is the actual setup box for one of the two reels, that fits into the slipcover. A full set of ten of these should look pretty elegant on the old bookshelf. I keep envisioning how cool a five year collection will look...

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 08:49:04 AM »
Doc B.

Ten years would look even better. This is a fabulous look. What artists you all are.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.