TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Hello Everyone  (Read 6532 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Hello Everyone
« on: August 21, 2007, 04:31:45 PM »
I recently read in the Absolute Sound about the "Tape Project" and wanted to learn more. I presently have a Pioneer 1020L tape machine. However, I now understand after reading some of the input here that the project tapes will be 15ips. So, it appears my machine will not work. Am I correct in my assessment?

Also, does anyone know where I can get my machine looked at and checked out? There does not seem to be a problems, but I know after all these years, it needs looking after. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

rbwtapeinterlink
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 12:18:48 AM »
Hello, rbw, and welcome to the community. Please take a second and look at the rules for posting. We all use our real names here, it helps keep the level of discussion high.

We can steer you to good service folks, but it would help if you tell us where you are.

Yes, the Tape Project tapes are 15 ips. It will be worth your while to get a 15 ips machine. There's lots of discussion here about machines, so read some of the back posts. If you pick carefully you can get one machine that will play the new tapes and your existing collection too.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 03:28:47 PM »
Thank you Paul, I have no problem sharing my name here. Most other forum participants use a "User Name". However, I am Bob Williams. And thank you for advising me regarding tape speed. I am looking for a useful deck that wil play at that speed plus can accomodate 10.5in reels. I've been to ebay but have been out bidded on at least two machines. I am waiting for word back from a gentleman who has a Teac A 7300. We'll see what happens. I assume that this is a good deck? I would love to get something that I don't have to immediately take to the shop (smile). Any help here would be very much appreciated. Thank you again.

Bob Williams
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 06:07:59 PM »
Hey Bob, welcome to the forum. Depends on the price range that you're looking at. I think that if you can swing it, try and find a good used Technics Rs1500. I know the price of these can be pretty crazy but they are excellent. I  keep an eye on what people are getting for them and there are still pretty good deals to be had on Ebay. Other than that, I see that you have a Pioneer deck. Are you planning on keeping that? I only ask because some decks that will play 1/2 track 15ips tapes won't play 1/4 track. If you are planning on having just one reel to reel and you listen to allot of prerecorded tapes like I do, this is something to keep in mind. There are several excellent r2r that have 4 heads. ( record,erase, 1/2 track and 1/4 track playback) I'm not familiar with the deck you have but off the top of my head, Sony made several, Otari, Teac,..
You might check out this site. It has a rundown of lots of decks, their features and picshttp://obsoletemedia.com/geeklog/index.php?topic=tdinfo
Otari Bx5050Mkll ( I think that's the model) is an excellent deck but you need to be careful buying one because they were popular with radio stations, studios, and other pro applications. On the other hand, they were built for this kind of service and most better pro shops would have had service contracts with a tech that would have serviced it once a year.
Another choice that you have is to buy a deck from a place that refurbishes them and sells them with a warranty. I can't say that I know anyone that has bought one that way,.. most buy them used and then get them refurbished, but if they have a deck that you want and they'll stand behind it, the extra money it would cost would seem like a good investment. Here's one of thosehttp://www.vintage-electronics.cc/index.htmlI've bought parts and manuals from him and he's very honest. I don't think he updates his site very often so ask for the decks your interested in. Many times he'll have a bunch of r2r's on the bench waiting for a buyer to force him to finish.
I think the main thing is to have patience. I've seen the ebb and flow of prices and it can really be disheartening if you look at the wrong time.
BTW, as Paul said, please give us you location and maybe one of us can point you to a good tech.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 09:09:50 PM »
Dear Friend Steve,

I am pleasantly surprised that you would take the time to provide this kind of information to a newbie. As a matter of fact, this is the very first forum of this kind where everyone has been very kind. That you are willing to research and come up with so much useful information is just wonderful.

I am located in Baltimore Maryland right now, but planning to relocate to Orlando FL. soon. I am preparing to move, but getting everything boxed up and ready to go is a real job. And of course trying to sell a house in this economy is heavy. So it might be a while before I get to go anywhere. And money is a little tight right now, so whatever I purchase will have to be within my means.

However, I am going to spend time getting information from the links you so kindly provided. I will be back in touch. And again, thank you so much. This is wonderful. Have a great evening.

Bob Williams