Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: NAB setup  (Read 7184 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
NAB setup
« on: September 06, 2007, 02:27:35 PM »
To everyone who can help with this question. I recently purchased a Tascam 32-2B tape deck in excellent condition. I've been told that this machine was setup with an NAB equiliaztion. This being the case, what raw tapes can I use to record music. On the other hand, what concerns should I have regarding tapes for playback, specifically, tapes produced by the "Tape Project"?????  I am looking forward to when they become avaialble.

I want to begin moving my classical and jazz LP's onto tape. I am a bit confused right about now. Thanks to everyone here.

Bob Williams
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: NAB setup
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 04:29:46 PM »
There are two points where equalization matters - record and playback. A recording made with NAB record eq must be played back with NAB playback eq, and a recording done with IEC record eq must be played back with IEC playback eq. Though NAB is the standard eq used in the States, Tape Project tapes are done with IEC record eq and need IEC playback eq. We chose IEC because it takes much better advantage of the performance of modern tape formulations, whereas NAB eq was established back in the late 40's. If you are making your own tapes, the record eq and playback eq will depend upon what eq settings that particular tape recorder has available. Most all made for US machines have NAB and a few have IEC. The machines that don't have IEC playback eq need to be modified for IEC playback, either by changing the internal electronics or by modding the machine so it can connect the heads directly to outboard playback electronics like the Bottlehead Repro amp.

If your machine just has NAB record and play eq but no IEC eq, use NAB to make your own tapes. If you upgrade to a Bottlehead tape head preamp in the future, the preamp can play back either IEC or NAB eq'd tapes.

Now on top of all this, you really should have the record bias adjusted for the brand of tape you choose to get the very best performance. Record bias is a separate adjustment issue from the eq issue, and you will need a competent tech to do that job for you.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Re: NAB setup
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 04:45:53 PM »
Dan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with all of this. My concern was initially to get a decent tape deck that could play at the 15ips speed so that I could get the highest quality playback and record.

There are so many minor/major things that have to be done even after purchasing a healthy tape deck that I was not aware of. From what I gather, this time period is much different from the 1970's thru 1985 when the NAB was standard and Ampex tape was the end-all. There is much more to be concerned about now with record and playback equalization that it boggles the mind.

Well, I will have to try and find a tech close to me here in Baltimore MD who can do what needs to be done. If not, there will be the shipping charges plus whatever I am charged for re-calibration for my tape of choice since l may have to ship if off. I wanted to begin purchasing some 911 to start moving my vast classical and jazz LP's to tape.

Bob Williams
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.