TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Tape Machine Compatibility Database Project  (Read 74889 times)

ceved

Re: Tape Machine Compatibility Database Project
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 07:36:24 PM »
Otari MX 55N complies with all the stated criteria and includes in the high speed range settings7 1/2, 15, and 30 IPS.
It weighs a ton, or 80 lbs whichever is heavier.  As it can also accomodate 12" reels, it is slightly taller than some other models.

Offline Busche

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 06:26:22 AM »
I have an Otari MX-5050BIII high speed version, purchased new a few years ago.  It was an "out-of-box" compatible machine with TTP tapes, but I had it modified/upgraded by ATR Services, Inc. of York, Pa. before it ever touched a TTP tape.

ATR by-passed the internal Otari playback electronics and used the rear panel mic xlr jacks to route an external Aria playback only electronics unit.  This unit is solid state, operating in Class A, and has an external "piggy-back" power supply.  In addition, an extended high frequency head was added.  No tape path transport modifications were deemed required.  The equipment comes standard with rack mount faceplates, but ATR will supply side panels and rubber feet as an alternative.

Operation is seamless and the sound is wonderful - markedly better than my VPI TNT-JMW 12/ARC/Benz Micro analog front end setup at about half the new product cost!  Now, lets add to that high end tape library!!

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 01:46:27 PM »
Just got a
Pioneer RT-2022 (RTU-11/2T transport and 1 TAU-11 rec./play electronics module)
This is the 2 channel 2 track version of the modular Pioneer machine with the JT-2022T head block.
It can also be 4 channel with another TAU-11 and the JT-2044T head block. That version is called the RT-2044.
As with the RT-1050 mentioned above, it will do IEC at 15ips.

I have an Otari 5050 but not being a "B" it has no IEC EQ and it is also a 4 channel version with the wrong head block.

I also have various and sundry other older transports and tube recorders that fit the speed, reel size and track configuration parameters, but not the EQ.
These would include an Ampex 354 with the stereo electronics, an Ampex 351 with the 2 mono electronics packages, a  Crown unit, a rather unique, small American Concertone Mark VII  from around 1958, and an intriguing early Teac transport only called the TD-321 which appears to be their "clone" of an Ampex 350 series. The Concertone and Teac also have an additional switchable 4th 1/4 track play head. The Crown is 2 head but 2 track! The Teac (and the Crown I think) have electrical speed change plus belt speed change to give 15/7.5 or 7.5/3.75ips.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline useridchallenged

• View Profile
    • The Audio Archive, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 03:45:30 PM »
Just a note that any of the professional STUDER decks are compatible with the Tape Project.  My personal favorite is the STUDER A820:

http://www.TheAudioArchive.com/TAA_Tape_Studer_A820.htm

but any of the Master Recorders (including the A80 and A800) are great.  The A820 does weigh 200 lbs.  And FWIW, when my wife-to-be first laid eyes on the A820 after I moved one of them into my home office, she said "you didn't tell me it was beautiful!"  The compact STUDERs are also excellent Tape Project candidates, including the A810 and A812.  The sonics of the compact machines aren't up there with the Master Recorders.  The STUDERs are like Swiss watches - not exactly the machines you want to practice on for DIY repairs and mods.  Except perhaps the A80, which is ALL analog, including the switching controls - everything - not a CPU to be found anywhere.  Nonetheless, the mechanics and tape transport of the A80 are still non-trivial. The tape handling of these machines is legendary and they are built like tanks.  We run our A820 machines 8 hours per day, 5 days per week, year-round.  Aside from head maintenance, normal capstan wear and consumables like pinch rollers, these machines have all been trouble-free (they were all fully refurbished before put into service).

Eric
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 06:55:12 PM by useridchallenged »
Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive, Inc
http://www.TheAudioArchive.com
State-of-the-Art Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting
STUDER A820, Revox C274, ATAE SHR, Calibrated External Azimuth, Cube-Tec Audiocube, Mytek, Simon Yorke S7, SME, Graham, Lyra Helikon SL, Boulder 1010

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 05:40:41 PM »
Wow, nice site Eric. That must've taken some time. And fantastic page on the 820. One of these days I'll have the money and the space for an A80 or 812 but I appreciate having some nice pictures to drool over in the meantime.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline niklasthedolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 04:27:47 PM »
Lyrec PTR-1 Frida

On this machine the IEC or CCIR setting is called ICIR.

These machines are impossible to operate without reading and understanding the manual.
Rec level and Eq are adjustable for each channel, for each speed for PB and for Rec and Bias is adjustable for each channel/for each speed.

Runs at three speeds: 3,75 ips; 7,5 ips; 15ips
But with fully adjustable pitch control it also runs up to 48 ips.
Display switchable between Real Time Counter and speed read out.
Shows also pitch speed. Precisely.

It has head wear protection in cue function.

Has a dump-tape option, cutting board and scissors.

Takes 11,8 inch/30 cm reels.

Real time counter w/two flags and goto, HX-Pro, ICIR(IEC)/NAB EQ, calibration in/out, fader start, editing board, remote controlled etc.
Remote control pin code in manual. You can build you own very advanced remote from that.

It is modular built with insert cards and is really a piece of engineering art.

Unfortunately the factory closed down in the spring this year.
Spares will be scarce from now on.

It was meant to take over from B67, A80, A810 or any other Studer, Nagra T, Stellavox SP9, 3M, Otari, Tascam, Sony APR or whatever but very limited production, no advertising or marketing didn't realy give it a chance international.
Specs are next to none.

The machine is portable.

Price tag from new at Dkr. 76.000,-
Today currency exchange ~ us$ 16.000,-
Very cheap as used ones on the eBay or where ever you can find them.

"dolph"
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:31:32 PM by niklasthedolphin »

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 11:43:34 AM »

Ampex 354 with appropriate plug in IEC EQ modules.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:46:42 AM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 01:01:28 PM »
Hey Eric, a couple of questions for you. 1) For the Studer A820, what is the unit's bias frequency? It is not stated in the specs provided on your website (that I can see). 2) I will assume finding and refurbishing one of these beasts to better than new with ATAE is very easily a 5 figure proposition, correct? Thanks.
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)

Offline useridchallenged

• View Profile
    • The Audio Archive, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 01:23:06 AM »
Hi Craig - the cost to refurb a STUDER A820 is a function of the machine condition and what you want ATAE to do to the machine.  Machine condition has a signficant impact on reconditioning costs.  The more original and less abused the machine, the less it will take to get it buffed up and upgraded.  If you want a fully remanufactured A820 (custom power supply, industrial stand, custom electronics, tape transport improvements, etc.), indeed it is possible to spend well into five-figures.  However, if you want to get your A820 nicely refurbished and fully upgraded to the correct revisions, with all critical systems in excellent shape and everything adjusted to the nines, that might be done for just under five-figures (not including the cost of the A820 itself, of course).  One of my machines was a bit of a Frankenstein in terms of its software and hardware revisions (some MkI and MkII elements) and had seen plenty of use (at a major record label).  ATAE was able to modify and upgrade everything so that all the hardware and software revisions were complete, anything that was worn or out of spec replaced with OEM parts, and the machine was upgraded to effectively a full Mk II.  I now have A820 machines that I'm confident can be run 24/7 for years to come (essential in a production environment).

Eric
Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive, Inc
http://www.TheAudioArchive.com
State-of-the-Art Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting
STUDER A820, Revox C274, ATAE SHR, Calibrated External Azimuth, Cube-Tec Audiocube, Mytek, Simon Yorke S7, SME, Graham, Lyra Helikon SL, Boulder 1010

Offline shawthing

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 10:50:51 AM »
Apologies if folks already know this, but:

Teac X1000M

This version of the X1000 series has a NAB/IEC EQ switch (for play and rec) on the inner chassis (you have to remove the outer casing), it plays at 7 1/2 and 15 and it plays 2 and 4 track. The 'M' suffix stands for mastering - the deck does not have reverse play, but does include dbx Type I noise reduction, 'EE'-type tape mode plus everything else the X1000 series has, including the ability to mount 10.5 inch reels...

Offline john

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 03:50:51 PM »
Revox C270, 7.5 + 15ips, iec/ccir. If you have a Nab version it can be converted by changing the left and right channel record cards.
John Taylor

Revox C270, Teac X-2000R, Technics RS1506, RS7500, Nakamichi Dragon, CR7E, Sony WM-D6C, Sony EL7 ( Elcaset! ) Brinkmann balance, Brinkmann Ti Cart, Clearaudio Balanced Ref, Esoteric XO1-D2, ARC Ref3, Ref 210, JM Lab Micro Utopia Be and Jas Audio Plato.

Offline braver

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 03:56:52 PM »
I see that Teac X-2000M fits; can an -R be adapted though?  Apparently it's 4-track machine, a usual stereo one; does it have half-track-capable heads?

Cheers,
Alexy

Offline rawbcca

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 06:03:24 PM »
I see that Teac X-2000M fits; can an -R be adapted though?  Apparently it's 4-track machine, a usual stereo one; does it have half-track-capable heads?

Cheers,
Alexy

The short answer is "NO"
REVOX PR99 mrkIII, REVOX G36, STELLAVOX SP7, TASCAM 3030, TEAC A-3440, TEAC X-2000R, TEAC X-2000M

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 11:44:15 PM »
My new (old) machine is an Ampex ATR-700. My machine is 15/7.5ips/2track, although it comes in a variety of different head and speed configurations. It has an IEC/NAB EQ switch in the back. It was built by Teac/Tascam for Ampex. I have read that is the same as a Teac 7030 or Tascam 25-2 with XLR inputs and outputs, instead of RCA.  I don't think this machine has been mentioned as a TP compatible machine.  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline John Stover

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 10:25:35 AM »
I've got an Ampex 351-2 that's been modified to switch between NAB and IEC playback curves.  The modification was not expensive and the deck now works great with Tape Project tapes.