TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Tape Machine Compatibility Database Project  (Read 74919 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Tape Machine Compatibility Database Project
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2009, 01:12:41 PM »
Hey John, welcome to the forum.
I think there would be a few folks interested in more details regarding the modifications done to your 351. A great place to post information would be under the Tape Machines forum. Even if you had someone else do the mods for you, maybe you could post some info about where you had it done.
Thanks
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Fabio

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 11:10:46 PM »
Hi,

I would like to understand if the machine I bought is compatible with the Tape Project

I am a little bit confused, and don't know if it does make any difference where the Teac X2000-R (with DBX) has been bought, I mean European, USA market, etc..

Are they always NAB EQ?

I cannot verify with the original user manual which came with the machine, as I am in another country for work reasons.

Thank you!! 

Best Regards

Fabio

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 12:28:40 PM »
Hi Fabio,
Maybe if you contact Teac you can find out about the eq issue.
The thing I'd be more concerned with is the head configuration. The Tape Project tapes are 1/2 track stereo. I'm assuming for the "R" (in x2000-R) that this is an auto reverse deck with 4 heads. If so, the two playback heads are 1/4 track and they won't play these tapes correctly. It could also be that it's a single (three head) 4 channel head in which case it would play the tapes but not as well as a 1/2 track head.
If you have any questions regarding these head formats, there's a couple of posts in the "Beginners Guide" that should help (located above the General forum in a sticky).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline joeljoel1947

• View Profile
Tascam 32
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 03:55:35 PM »

I recently bought a Tascam 32 and as far as I can tell, I'm the first guy on the internet to discover it is both NAB and IEC compatible!  From everything I've read online it seems that Tascam set the 32 up in the USA for the NAB standard and in Europe/Japan for the IEC standard.  What I have not been able to find until last night anyhow is that the end user can "make the switch" themselves.

According to the user and to the service manual for my 32, you CAN convert the deck from NAB to IEC by switching some jumpers on the internal amp.

From page 39 in the manual of the 32:
Note:  If necessary, inter-switching between the NAB and IEC standards can be accomplished by simply removing and repatching the jumper wires on 5 points of the amplifier.  The details are explained as a note on the schematic of the amplifier section.

From schematic of amp section:
For NAB Standard: With the A, B, and C jumper connections being disregarded, jumper D is connected to the terminal side of C129 and jumper E to the terminal side of C128.

For IEC Standard:  With the A, B, and C jumpers in place, jumper D is connected to terminal side of C127 and jumper E to terminal side of C130.

Now, I have not tried this conversion myself, but it seems straight-forward.  This then makes the Tascam 32 a "tape project ready" machine as it is a half-track, 7.5/15ips/IEC compatible machine that can handle 10.5" reels out of "the box".  I hope this may help someone down the road because it took a bit of digging to find out!
Regards,
Joel Kozlowski

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 05:46:33 PM »

I recently bought a Tascam 32 and as far as I can tell, I'm the first guy on the internet to discover it is both NAB and IEC compatible!  From everything I've read online it seems that Tascam set the 32 up in the USA for the NAB standard and in Europe/Japan for the IEC standard.  What I have not been able to find until last night anyhow is that the end user can "make the switch" themselves.

According to the user and to the service manual for my 32, you CAN convert the deck from NAB to IEC by switching some jumpers on the internal amp.

From page 39 in the manual of the 32:
Note:  If necessary, inter-switching between the NAB and IEC standards can be accomplished by simply removing and repatching the jumper wires on 5 points of the amplifier.  The details are explained as a note on the schematic of the amplifier section.

From schematic of amp section:
For NAB Standard: With the A, B, and C jumper connections being disregarded, jumper D is connected to the terminal side of C129 and jumper E to the terminal side of C128.

For IEC Standard:  With the A, B, and C jumpers in place, jumper D is connected to terminal side of C127 and jumper E to terminal side of C130.

Now, I have not tried this conversion myself, but it seems straight-forward.  This then makes the Tascam 32 a "tape project ready" machine as it is a half-track, 7.5/15ips/IEC compatible machine that can handle 10.5" reels out of "the box".  I hope this may help someone down the road because it took a bit of digging to find out!

Perhaps you could add a switch for NAB to EIC on the fly.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
Re: Pioneer RT-1050
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 02:24:37 PM »
iThe deck has a front panel tape selector knobs that will play and record IEC at 15ips only).  The old 1974 manual says that this will give you a better S/N ratio... 

Does it?
Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: Pioneer RT-1050
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 11:22:56 AM »
iThe deck has a front panel tape selector knobs that will play and record IEC at 15ips only).  The old 1974 manual says that this will give you a better S/N ratio...

Does it?

Yes,  it does. I have 2 as well as a couple of the Pioneer RT-2022 ( RTU-11/2T transport / TAU-11 "amplifier") which also does the same. IEC @ 15 ips. only.
 The later, in the 4 track / 4 channel head block configuration  (RTU-11QT) with a 2nd set of TAU-11 electronics (called an RT-2044 as a system) is similar to the Teac 3340, Otari MX5050 or Dokorder 1140 4 channel prosumer 4 track decks with sync capabilities as well as quadraphonic playback.
Some other versions of the Pioneer RT- series like the 1011L were quarter track, 2 channel, low speed pair ("L"), NAB eq only, 10.5" reel machines.
The 1050 and 2022 are the only Pioneer factory Tape Project tape compatible machines AFAIK.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2011, 09:54:02 AM »
Great.   Thank you.

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2011, 07:06:19 PM »
Great.   Thank you.
I see you also have the RT-2022. Where do they rank in your Tape Project machines?
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 12:09:29 AM »

I see you also have the RT-2022. Where do they rank in your Tape Project machines?

My tapeproject machines?   They're the only TP machines I have for now.    So among the potential TP machines I have heard (Studer 800 series, Lyrec Frida, Technics, Otaris, Tascams, TOTL Tandbergs, Nagras, Stellavox) in terms of value, I rate RT-2022 the highest.   (Not anymore, people are discovering RT-2022, and bidding up the price so they're no longer killer value.)

In terms of pure sonics, they're not too shabby.   To my ears, they actually are a notch above the rest of Pioneer RTRs, which are okay, but not great to my ears anyway.

Btw. 2022 sounds quite a bit better than 2044.  2022 definitely sounds better than Otaris, in stock form, at least.    It's  a toss up between TOTL Studers, Tandbergs, Tascam, Technics, vs. 2022, sonically, but pressed, my ears prefer 2022.

Now, I do have to confess Nagra T does sound better significantly than 2022, but how much does it cost compared to 2022?

Personally, I think Revox is quite overrated sonically.

Sonically, the best sounding RTR to my ears is Nagra T.

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 09:00:02 AM »
Another is the Technics RS1520. Others are adaptable - for example a low speed MX-5050BII can be reset internally for 7.5/15 ips, and it may be possible to activate the IEC EQ on NAB type RS1500s.

I'm puzzled by that 'may'.   Has it been done?  If so, then it can be done or not?    Sorry if this has been answered already.

Sometimes I see a good deal or two for 1500s, that's why I'm asking.

Offline genel

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2015, 05:51:08 PM »
 I have a Technics RS-1500US.

The only fault it has is it is not IEC. I thought that IEC was for record only. I would like to modify my machine for IEC. Does someone point me to instructions on how to?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 06:13:48 PM by genel »
Serving content-free posts since 1984

Gene Lambert

Offline Black Witch

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2015, 11:09:09 AM »
Hi.

Is the Studer A807 MKII compatible with the Tape Project tapes? I see the others like the A810, A820 but not the A807.... any reason why?

Offline skywaveTDR

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2016, 07:23:52 AM »
Let us not forget the Tascam 42 and 52 1/2 track decks that have a substantial better build than the light weight X2000M  and others. To a Technician who services these, he does not like to lift and turn them over but as far as performance goes they excel.  There is also the ATR60-2. If you need weight lifting, just move one of these around.
I have to for my work.

Offline Roscoe Primrose

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2019, 09:15:34 AM »
Otari MX50.  7.5/15ips half track, NAB/IEC switch on the back...