Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Sound Technology 1500A Questions !!!  (Read 17698 times)

Offline slbender

• View Profile
Sound Technology 1500A Questions !!!
« on: September 13, 2007, 05:56:52 AM »
Hey fellow Reel To Reel Tape Machine Users -

Got some questions on the vintage Sound Technology ST-1500A:

This is based upon an 8 slot motherboard, which typically has 6 slots occupied, plus a central power supply. 

As I understand it, some ST-1500A's have 7 slots occupied, the 7th board incorporates a 1/3rd Octave FFT Analysis function which is not documented in Operation Manual 7900-0021B.

And this is called Option 007.

If the above is correct, anyone have any data about Option 007 ?

Any Addendum information on Option 007 and its use ?

If the 1500A has an undocumented toggle switch on the rear panel, what is it for ?

Tnx.

-Steven

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 05:59:28 AM by slbender »

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Re: Sound Technology 1500A Questions !!!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 01:34:25 PM »
Steven,

Option 7 has a 7th biard which does allow for third octave spectrum analysis when in the noise, flutter and channel separation modes.  Allows measurements from 20hz to 20Khz on noise and channel sep and 0.5 hz to 200 hz for flutter.  Weighted and flat buttons apply to all tests.  Response is within 1/2 dB across the band.  Dynamic range is greater thn 90dB. This is from an -0041 manual.

Offline kftool

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 07:08:48 PM »
  Happy new year Stellavox,

I attended a seminar at ATR Services a few weeks ago and used the 1500a to go through everything that needed to be measured and aligned on the ATR 100 machines that we worked on. Mike Spitz said they replaced an entire bench of electronics gear that any one needed to tune  RTR machines. They have eight of them and he commented that Sound Technology charges $800 to re calibrate each unit. He mentioned that he saw one on ebay for $495  a while back. When I got home I found nothing on ebay.  A week later it came up again; $495,  buy it now $595. I was the only bidder at $495. It was guaranteed to work and the seller gave a money back guarantee.

While I have no manual, Mike told me to bring it up when I pick up my machines and they will check it out. I have two Studer A810 machines I bought they're tuning up.  If the creek don't rise, I'll pick up an ATR 102 around April. I can't wait!!

Offline kftool

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 07:36:16 PM »
  I got carried away!!

I have no idea if the unit I bought has upgrades. I thought it was a necessary buy if I was to be a RTR nut.

If you have one, Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Ken

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Sound Technology 1500(A) Basics
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 07:14:42 AM »
The ST 1500(A) is an versatile piece of audio test equipment that although designed for tape recorder (and turntable) testing can be of more general use.

It incorporates a low distortion sine wave generator that can output a signal from 20hz to 40Khz (up to 2 VRMS).  Older machines can measure 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion (HD) at 1Khz only - newer machines can measure HD at 315, 333, 400 or 1000hz.  It can measure noise and channel separation to better than 90dB. Of course various weighting contours are available when making noise measurements.  The spectrum analysis option adds third-octave distortion component display capability.

For tape recorder analysis the machine incorporates a unique 3-tone azimuth measurement, along with flutter and noise measurement (with the optional third-octave display).  A very useful feature is that it can display record/play distortion while automatically "stepping thru" input levels from +10 to -20dB.

ST also supplied  a "TR150 test record" LP for testing and setting up cartridges and turntables.  You'll NEVER find that.

Now the somewhat bad news:  to fully utilize the machines capability you need the accompanying test tape especially for playback setup.  It has the level set tone, azimuth adjust and synchronized frequency response sweep(s).  Fortunately, Magnetic Reference Labs (MRL) can supply the tapes. Unfortunately they are expensive, around $100, and are offered for only one speed and equalization (NAB/IEC).  I had them make me up a single tape with reference and sweep tones for 15 and 7 1/2 ips, NAB and IEC.  Wasn't very expensive at all considering it replaced four separate tapes. 

Now the real bad news.  If the machine is broken or breaks, FORGET trying to repair it.  It is all microprocessor-based and even getting to the cards is tough.  It also appears that ST is "out of business" - for all intents.  The monitor on my 1500 broke and ST doesn't seem to want to respond to Emails.  Their website indicate that they will repair 1500's for a fixed charge of upwards of 1kilobuck depending on how long ago it was serviced.  I fixed mine by substituting a unit from a baby monitor.

If you find a 1500 don't buy it unless it passes the built-in self-test function (generator output must be manually set to 2 VRMS prior to running the test).  If not, you have a(n expensive) collection of spare parts.

Charles       

Offline kftool

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 07:26:53 PM »
Hello Stellavox,

Thanks for the reply and bad news on the 1500><*^. Nothing is better than hearing the truth. When I bid on this unit I was told I had a 30 day return option on this unit. I've not plugged it yet but figured that if I had a return option it probably worked, but who knows. I planned on emailing Sound Technology to order a manual but I guess that's out. I'll take it up to ATR and they can see if it works. If so, I'll just need a manual and a little instruction on it's use.

thanks, Ken

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 09:51:33 PM »
Just visited Sound-Smith in Peekskill, NY over the holidays. They repair all sorts of vintage gear, including open reel and cassette decks, as well as manufacturing various types of phono cartridges, preamps and speakers. They have about 6 Sound Technology 1500s and at least 5 1700 units in operation. I think all are functional. They do quite a bit of repair and restoration of Tandberg and Nakamichi tape decks. Quite an impressive operation. I was sort of surprised to see these 'golden oldies' still being used- they must still do the job quite well.

Rich Brown
Portland, Oregon
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline kftool

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 06:11:06 PM »
  Stellavox,

Today I checked the 1500 A I bought a while ago. It is a model 1510 A with options 007 and 011. I plugged it in and the display lights up.  I pushed the self test button and it referenced on the display.

As you mentioned, their web site doesn't respond to an inquiry, so help from the mfg seems unavailable.

With the info I posted regarding the options, can you tell me what it's capabilities are? I have no manual to follow. Is there a site where I can download the info or ?<>.

By the way, I'm listening to the Arnold Overtures tape as I type, and on my 1958 Ampex  machine, I'd have a hard time finding vinyl that beats it.

Charles, I thank you in advance for a reply.

regards Ken

Offline slbender

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 10:57:34 PM »
Hi Ken,

I honestly don't recall where or when I got the 1500A and 1510A Manuals, I have several versions (different dates).  Never found any ST Manuals for download anywhere, so they are difficult to come by for sure.  I have been selling copies of mine for a while.

It is both time intensive and annoying to stand there at a huge Kinkos copy machine for a couple of hours to get a big manual done properly...  The Sound Technology 1500A, 1510A, 1700A manuals are among the biggest and thickest tech books I've ever seen, some are over an inch of pages thick!  If it was a PDF, it would be like several gigabytes in size.

I've been collecting rare electronics manuals for well over ten years, have around 250 -275 now.  I have both the ST-1500A and ST-1510A OP/SM listed on my web site, if you want it, not sure if it details the options, but 007 is the FFT analyzer board.

I'm still repairing my 2nd ST-1500A, its a brute to work on, but NOT impossible for someone who repairs Reel to Reel machines :-).

-Steven L. Bender

http://slbender.exactpages.com/manuals.html

Stellavox,

Today I checked the 1500 A I bought a while ago. It is a model 1510 A with options 007 and 011. I plugged it in and the display lights up.  I pushed the self test button and it referenced on the display.

As you mentioned, their web site doesn't respond to an inquiry, so help from the mfg seems unavailable.

With the info I posted regarding the options, can you tell me what it's capabilities are? I have no manual to follow. Is there a site where I can download the info or ?<>.

By the way, I'm listening to the Arnold Overtures tape as I type, and on my 1958 Ampex  machine, I'd have a hard time finding vinyl that beats it.

Charles, I thank you in advance for a reply.

regards Ken

Offline ghibliss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 06:35:59 PM »
Does anyone know what options 011/012 on the ST 1510A are for?  I am picking one up tomorrow that has these options and do not have any documentation until the piece is delivered.  This unit is being provided with the user manual however I don't know if these options are covered in the manual.  I would love to get a copy of the service manual if anyone has one available or a good scanned copy.

Cliff
212-254-3541

Offline ghibliss

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 10:21:05 PM »
I located an ST-1510A however it appears after trouble shooting it that it needs to have the power supply replaced due to an open short in the windings.  If anyone has a working power supply used or new for sale for this piece please contact me so that we can resurrect this instrument.

Cliff 212-254-3541