Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: lamps for Otari VU meters  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
lamps for Otari VU meters
« on: November 05, 2010, 08:38:43 PM »
Howdy, anyone know what the lamps are in the VU meters for the Otari's?  Need to replace the lamps in mine...  And any suggestions on how to get to them, I see them behind the plastic face...  thanks!
"Music possesses far richer means of expression, and it is a more subtle medium in which to translate the thousand shifting moments in the mood of a soul." - Tchaikovsky

Offline GLouie

• View Profile
Re: lamps for Otari VU meters
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 10:35:42 PM »
MTR-10? I got tired of changing them after the original spares ran out. I retrofitted a bridge rectifier and 2 LEDs with resistors on each meter. Everything was from Radio Shack. The illumination is not as diffuse, although if I had tried several LED designs, I might have gotten there.

My specs are at the office, so I don't have them on hand.
Gary Louie
Seattle

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
Re: lamps for Otari VU meters
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 10:43:44 PM »
I found an article on the web about changing the bulbs, the author gave me a heads up on where to get replacements, they work on both the MTR-10 and the 5050, 8v lamps from parts express, put them in the 5050, work great, haven't done the MTR-10 yet, boy do I love that machine, so easy to work on and work with, the cue function, memory set, edit/unload, etc. miles above a typical prosumer set...
"Music possesses far richer means of expression, and it is a more subtle medium in which to translate the thousand shifting moments in the mood of a soul." - Tchaikovsky