TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: picking a TP machine  (Read 5485 times)

Offline zaphod

• View Profile
picking a TP machine
« on: November 12, 2010, 10:42:25 PM »
hi, new here - been a r2r fan for decades. currently i have a Teac 2200 series, Pioneer 707, reVox B77, Akai GX400D (in need of a belt job and general tuneup), Akai GX270D, Tascam 32 and a grundig portareel that needs unobtanium batteries.

I have outboard dbxI for the revox and Tascam and outboard dolby for the Teac and Pioneer. That's a lot of decks, and it would be great to turn one into a TP machine instead of getting another.

The first option is to build a NAB to IEC equalization box and use it on the reVox. The revox has two sets of outputs - RCA and DIN. I'd connect both the the preamp and run one through the NAB->IEC equalization box. Then I'd just select inputs based on tape equalization. The down side is that the equalization is not a true IEC curve and there might be some ground issues with both the DIN and RCA output connections to the preamp at the same time, although a switch box, or a switch built into the NAB->IEC equalization box would help that. The up side is one less 10" reel in the rack, but is that really an up side?

The second option is to convert the Tascam to IEC as per the manual and just run that as the TP machine. The down side is that I'm losing my secon 10" NAB machine, although i would still have the 400D if I fixed it up. Te upside would be a better IEC curve for TP tapes and the great look of two 10" machines in the rack.

Are there any other up or downs to the two options that I'm overlooking? Given the choice between the two  I suspect that the Tascam solution would get the better sound, but what do you think?

Thanks
Lance Bailey
--
walk gently. leave a good impression.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: picking a TP machine
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 12:11:53 AM »
Hi Lance,

Welcome to the forum.

Most of the members here that have Tascam 32 series machines seem pretty happy with them. IMHO, if you plan to get into the Tape Project tapes, the best machine you have will be your best bet.
I seem to remember that you switch playback eq's by moving a couple of jumpers. If that's indeed the case, you might consider connecting the NAB and IEC to a switch that you can access from the cabinet exterior (or maybe somewhere close to the circuit board that can be easily accessed). You'd need to be careful to keep the wires from the board to the switch away from sources of hum (motors and transformer) and the shorter the better. But, if you use your imagination, you should be able to do it pretty easily.
If you decide to take that route, be sure and share.

BTW, what kind of batteries does the Grundig take?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 10:37:49 PM »
Thanks - I'll stick with the 32 adapted to IEC. When i looked at the schematics and confirmed that it's only a few jumpers same idea crossed my mind - just get a multi way BBM switch and i'd be set. I remember Auget selling me one 20 years back for a passive preamp i was building at the time.

haven't opened up the 32 to see how close that board is to the side or front. since this would be rack mounted, front would be better.

The Grundig is a little "niki" model and takes 3 D cells (easy) and a 3v drycell labelled Daimon No 270. I took a look for it when I picked up the recorder 4 or 5 years back, but couldn't find any info on it. The unit does have an RCA for power, but i never got around to chasing down a power supply.
Lance Bailey
--
walk gently. leave a good impression.

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 12:19:02 AM »
and a 3v drycell labelled Daimon No 270

3V is easy. Just pick 2ea. 1 1/2V batteries that together are about the same physical size and will fit where the old one did. Get a series holder for them (2 AAs for example, if that is the size) and wire it in or adapt the connectors etc. making sure to observe correct polarity.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...