TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: What IC With Direct Head Out  (Read 7399 times)

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
What IC With Direct Head Out
« on: November 18, 2010, 08:29:16 PM »
What IC's are you guys using with your direct head wiring outputs???

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What IC With Direct Head Out
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 09:44:48 PM »
Well, I am using custom made cables that I have been thinking about putting into production for sale. I'll let you know if I do.

Till then, I think the two characteristics you want to look for are low capacitance and good shielding. Good shielding means, to me, a combination of 100% foil shield and a high coverage braid shield.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:06:55 PM »
Paul,
I have seen some cables that are made for audio/video with 100% shielding what do you think about them???

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 11:44:37 PM »
I've been using phono cables for the most part. Silver Breeze from Silver Audio.  I've been really happy with it's performance with one exception. I haven't been able to afford a new one and nobody seems to want to sell one used so my vinyl set up has taken a hit.

I sure would like to check out Paul's new cable though. The grapevine says it should be pretty nice.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline microstrip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 07:28:18 PM »
I sure would like to check out Paul's new cable though. The grapevine says it should be pretty nice.

I am sure my A80 will deserve them! :-)

Currently I was considering van den Hul D501 - if it is good enough for SME tonearms and MC cartridges it should be good for tape heads.
Francisco

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 11:20:51 AM »
Yes the inductance of typical phono cartridges and typical tape heads is fairly similar and the requirement for short, low capacitance cables with very good shielding is the same.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 12:39:44 PM »
Hey Francisco,
At one point I thought about trying VDH D501 but never got around to it. IRCC, that's what Manley used in the wiring of their head preamp.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline microstrip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 04:11:29 PM »
Thanks for your opinions. The following was taken from from the van den Hul datasheet:

>To support the tone-arm and mixing console industry, this mat black HULLIFLEX ? 3 jacketed balanced cable was
designed: very flexible and with extremely good electrical qualities.
The D - 501 HYBRID is a cable with a very high shielding factor.
Sonically this is one of the best cables in our program. Not really expensive and with a very high performance quality.
The D - 501 HYBRID is regularly used as a microphone cable in critical professional recordings and as a standard
product for e.g. SME in England together with the prestigious Type V tonearm. This already since 1987.
The 2 signal lines are made each of 19 x 0.1 mm. very high grade OFC wires with the highest density of very pure silver
coating.
As an extra layer around the metal group, we use a Linear Structured Carbon ? (LSC) saturated coating.
The signal line insulation with the colours white and yellow is made of cell-PE, so the stripping can even be done with
your fingernails to prevent wire damage on the silver coated copper strands commonly caused by mechanical stripping.
The resistance per signal lead is: 11.3 Ohm/100 meter.
The capacitance between the 2 signal leads is: 75 pF/meter.
Very flexible specially treated artificial fibres are used as a filler to prevent any harm caused by external humidity or
chemicals.
The shielding consists of 96 x 0.10 mm. wires of a high grade Matched Crystal (MC) OFC with a dense and very pure
silver coating and a LSC saturated helical tape.
The resistance of the shielding is: 2.3 Ohm/100 meter
Francisco