TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Tape Project demo, Saturday September 22  (Read 6135 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Tape Project demo, Saturday September 22
« on: September 16, 2007, 06:39:11 PM »
We're working away at getting tape production rolling this week. I've come down from the Tape Project customer service, marketing and electronics division HQ in Bottleheadland to our San Francisco studio and duplicating facility and Paul, Michael and I are getting the duping facility nudged into configuration for full scale production. We're also setting up our engraving/packing/shipping room.

We think we will be in neat enough trim by Saturday to have a little show and tell. We will give a little tour of the facility, show off the custom packaging, have a little nosh on hand, and of course play some Tape Project albums.

The get together will start at 4 p.m. Space is limited so we will need an RSVP by e-mail from you, letting us know you would like to attend. Please e-mail me at [email protected] as early in the week as possible if you would like to come by and hear a little analog tape on the Camellia Room mastering monitors this Saturday.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 11:20:38 AM by docb »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
and by the way
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 09:25:55 AM »
we will be announcing the final three releases for 2007 - some classic jazz titles - this afternoon. I think folks will be pleased with the selection.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Romo

• Michael Romanowski
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • tapeproject
Re: Tape Project demo, Saturday September 22
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 11:38:17 AM »
So we had a great listening on Saturday. Thanks to all who showed up. Very nice wine Chuck. Thanks.
I just wanted to relate an experience from that afternoon that reminded me why we are doing this. When choosing titles we have an executive meeting and throw out everything we can think of that we'd like to do as well as look at the suggestions posted on this forum. After that we get copies of the music to each other so everyone can hear what we are considering. When the Robert Cray title came up and we listened, liked it and could get the rights. So it got added to the first years catalogue. Cool. Now comes Saturday's listening. At this point I had only heard the CD. Paul cued up the recently acquired master for us to hear, Chuck poured us a glass a wine... Press play... whoa...I got all shivery. Not because the AC was on, not because the music was great (which it was), not the wine (hadn't even sipped yet), but because my sense of smell took me back to college. I was immediately transported back to college, back to the club I was in where I first heard Robert Cray. I could smell the bar. You know, that stale beer smell on the floor, the amps and the instruments, the musicians and crowd. I was doing live sound in this club in Bowling Green Kentucky and the console area was perched up a bit in this cold concrete semi-underground building. Even the carpeting and the console in the booth had a smell. I shivered because of the fondness I could feel from the memory of that place. The time it took me to. WOW. There was a realness about that tape playing back that I never ever got from playing the cd. The memory flood. The transportation. The experience. That's why we do this.
Managing Director
The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Tape Project demo, Saturday September 22
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 06:30:43 PM »
I'm sorry I missed the demo and a chance to meet some of the other members face to face. It's nice to know that Michael is still impressed with the sound (not that I'm surprised though). It was years ago when I was given an old Teac and listened to an NOS classical tape I picked up at a used record store. No tweaks, just a pair of headphones out of the built in amp in the 3300. I knew that there was something there that was missing in my vinyl rig and whatever it was, it was important. I started asking around and found a couple of guys that were into r2r, big Ampexes for the most part. After a couple of years, I saw an article with Doc and a 351 ( I think) at VSAC. Well, I've been buggin' him ever since. So the Tape Project is like a dream come true for me. And to hear that in the first year Waltz for Debby and Sax. Colossus ( 2 of my all time fav. recordings) will be on 1/2 track 15 ips,.. mind blowing,.. just mind blowing!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades