TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Source for Technics 1500 counter belts  (Read 4461 times)

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Source for Technics 1500 counter belts
« on: November 19, 2010, 06:41:07 AM »
I see them listed on Ebay - anyone know of another source?

THANKS

Charles

Offline phil jeffery

• View Profile
Re: Source for Technics 1500 counter belts
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 08:10:16 PM »
Hi,

This is probably no use to you as this is a trade supplier I use here in Sydney Australia, but there has to be an equivalent company in the USA. If you're not in a hurry and knew what you needed I could add it to my next order (it would only be a couple of dollars) and send it on.

http://www.wagner.net.au/catalogue/index.php?dir=&file=05_Audio.pdf

Regards,
Phil

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:51:05 AM »
Hi Charles

Doc B's 1500 mods include removing the tape counter belt.  If he didn't throw the belts away, I am sure he would help you.

The other possible source is Jeff Jacobs at the J-Corder. I would imagine he would stock the part.
Ki Choi

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Thanks Phil and Ki,

Turns out I was able to get them from my "belt guy".  Apart from a few vendors selling (out) the stock belts from the old sources such as PRB, most sources are drying up, as are the belts themselves.  The Audio Visual market, along with the "old" VHS / cassette market "drove" whatever belt / idler / rubber drive market there was.  But most all "modern" products have done away with belts - and are going to no moving parts at all.

A number of years back, I did a "US-wide" search to find a source of belts for Stellavox and a few other products and only found one guy, who may now have the largest supply of belts still available.  He's retired and when he's / they're gone they ARE gone.  Dick Kinsey (803) 787-1626

Charles 

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
There was a guy in Germany that used to have the counter belts. I checked his eBay store (Black Reel) and he didn't have any.

BTW, I bought a pair of pinch rollers from him and for the most part, they're and exact match to the originals. Unfortunately, the part that isn't right is the brass bearing. For some crazy reason, he had the outside of the bearing made with a couple of raised areas. With the teflon washers he provides, this isn't a problem as far as friction goes (the rollers are always pulled in when in play anyway). The problem with them is that with the extra width of the bearing on the outside, you can't adjust the location of the rollers out far enough to center the tape.  Once the roller/tape/capstans make contact, the tape is barely in full contact (the tape will always move toward the point of highest pressure) but completely at the outside edge of the roller contact area. Very bad for the tape edge!
I ended up grinding down the raised spots and now they sound better than the old originals. I gave the guy a hard time about it but I think he figured I didn't know what I was doing.
So, the rubber part of the rollers is really nice but I'd advise anyone who's bought them to have the brass bearing pressed out and either have it altered or replaced. Fixing the bearing is a lot cheaper than replacing your tape collection.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades