Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: IEC crisper sounding????  (Read 9120 times)

Offline heideana

• View Profile
IEC crisper sounding????
« on: September 17, 2007, 12:16:27 PM »
Hi all...per my last post, I've started to switch over recording things using IEC rather then NAB eq.  I'm not sure if its' my ears or not, but things sound crisper and the high-end seems to have less smearing and more detail? 

I seem to remember Angel telling me that the only difference between the two to his ears was this crispness...but then I might have dreamt that too...

At this rate, I'm going to be tearing into my B67 to sort out switching it over to IEC sooner then later.
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: IEC crisper sounding????
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 01:59:20 PM »
Yup, there should be lower noise in the HF part of the program material than you could get with NAB eq. This would result in greater clarity and resolution. To take full advantage of this you will want to use modern low noise tape formulations.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 04:09:17 PM »
Thanks Doc for letting me know I wasn't dreaming it and the tip about modern tape formulations.  I'm a bit of a tape elitist don't use anything but new tape...

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 04:37:07 PM »
Thankfully we are finding that the new RMGI formulations are, if anything, better sounding than the originals - which were excellent to begin with.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 05:59:38 PM »
Even the RMGI LPR35 ( 3600' 10.5" reel) sounds great. I bought the thinner tape while I was fooling around with tensions and start/stop timing on my rs1500. I recorded a 1kHz tone and ran it through the mill(ff>stop>rewind>stop>ff>rewind...) to see if I could stretch it or otherwise damage it.
BTW heideana how do you like the B67?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 06:03:15 PM »
Hey Steve,

Do you have a Tentelometer? They are really nice for setting the tape tension. I found the alternate voltage measurement method of setting the tension described in the service manual fairly useless.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 07:23:16 PM »
Hey Steve -- I like the B67 an awful lot...its' kind of like my first "real" tape deck.  It's a big, heavy beast that sometimes burps and breathes a bit of fire, but she's got great sound and handles tape very gently.  It appears that if your careful and the ebay gods are smiling down on you that you can pick one up for a decent price that's in good shape. 

I was looking at the IEC switches for the B67 and it appears you can set them to use IEC for 15ips and NAB for 7 1/2 ips....didn't I read somewhere that IEC is best for 15ips and NAB works better for 7 1/2 ips?   

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 07:44:13 PM »
Steve -- I forgot to mention that I've been using the LPB35, along with the 468 and they both sound great.  Angel grumbled a bit when I had him set the bias for them on my two Studers...he said that 457 was better, at least on Studer's.  Contextual, if there's any difference to me the 468 seems a bit more open and less smeared, while the 456 sounds a bit warmer to me....Hopkins

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 09:49:06 PM »
Do I have a what?  Just kidding. No, I just measured the voltage and fooled around a little then put it back where it was. The main thing I was doing was adjusting the stop bumper to the solenoid plunger on top behind the xformer. It sync's the brakes, lifters and roller lifts and even though my adjustment seemed to make "stop" more positive, I was worried that the brakes might be engaging early which could stretch the tape.

heideana, it sounds like you found a good tech in your neck of the woods. How about doing a post over on the Service forum. Mine just moved up to Oregon so I'm looking for a new one.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 11:33:52 PM »
Thanks Ironbut!  I just posted it the info on Angel...I'll have to let him know to check his website!