Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: The Sound and The Story  (Read 3867 times)

Offline Teeg

• View Profile
The Sound and The Story
« on: November 22, 2010, 10:35:43 PM »
  Interesting recording link...tape to vinyl

http://www.archive.org/details/SoundAndTheS

Tj
T.j. Bassi  
    Martin Logan reQuests....Martin Logan Descent x 2....Atma-Sphere MA1 OTL amplification....Krell KPS25s digital front end....VPI Scoutmaster....Studer A80 VU MKII....Ampex 300-2 Tube/SS Playback "Ampexius Maximus"....Ampex MR-70

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: The Sound and The Story
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 09:40:38 PM »
I watched this through.
Pretty interesting stuff. I am amazed at the microphones they used if those shots of the orchestra are real.
They made reference to both stereo and tape in this 1956 movie. So this was within the first couple of years of stereo tapes being issued in 2 track format and before stereo records by a year or two.
 They showed shots of the studio recorders and the tape duplicating system as well as the disc lathe.
Can anyone identify if these are Ampex, RCA or a hybrid of the two?
They stated that the tapes are duplicated at 4X normal speed and backwards to eliminate rewinding. Hence they must have not originally shipped tails out. Here is my question, which actually applies to all non-real-time tape duplication. If they are duplicating for 7 1/2 ips. playback, the machines were running at 30 ips. All well and good, but how did they have response out to 60KHz? (15KHz. X 4) The electronics might, but the heads? And the tape? In those days? Or am I missing something. If they only went to, say, 15KHz wouldn't the tapes be rolled off at 1/4 that frequency, like say, 3,750 Hz.? Obviously our beloved vintage 2 tracks have high fidelity response above that of a telephone or (old) 78 record, so what gives?
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Teeg

• View Profile
Re: The Sound and The Story
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 10:44:53 PM »
 The machines in the first segment are portable versions of the Ampex 300-2 with 7.5/15 IPS capstans. The duplicating system later in the video is a typical configuration of an Ampex S3200 tape duplicator:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ampex_tape_recorder_duplicator.html

Technical documents for the 3200 are still up on the Ampex site and perhaps they might give some insight into the duplicating process. In my quest to find parts for my 300 machines, I often turn up 3200 parts which have little in common with other Ampex recorders of that era.

TJ
T.j. Bassi  
    Martin Logan reQuests....Martin Logan Descent x 2....Atma-Sphere MA1 OTL amplification....Krell KPS25s digital front end....VPI Scoutmaster....Studer A80 VU MKII....Ampex 300-2 Tube/SS Playback "Ampexius Maximus"....Ampex MR-70