TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Season's Barclay Crocker's  (Read 6263 times)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Season's Barclay Crocker's
« on: December 12, 2010, 08:46:31 AM »
Enjoying "Spirit of Christmas" and Messiah. Both by Marriner and ASMF. The former is a Phillips and the latter an Argo.

SOMETIMES I'm happy I decided not to build a listening room so I can share my big rig with the little ones. You should see the one year old trying to crawl inside the midbass bins!

Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Re: Season's Tapes
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:51:52 AM »
And there's, of course, the Commonwealth Christmas Overture by Malcolm Arnold. In glorious 2ch 15 IPS courtesy of the TP.
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Season's Barclay Crocker's
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 02:26:42 PM »
Happy holidays Xavier!
IIRC, there's a BC of "Christmas at St Johns" too. It's one of those that I've bid on a couple of times so I keep thinking that I already have it.
Even though it's not really a Christmas themed recording, the "Greensleeves Folksong,.." tape with Marriner on Argo is very good sounding and festive.

I hope that you and your family as well as all the members here have a fantastic holiday!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 02:35:52 PM »
Don't forget the B-C tape "Noel" by Joan Baez.   Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 03:52:31 PM »
My Xmas tape collection consists solely of London LOL90072, Messiah - Highlights, Sir Adrian Boult and the LSO Orchestra and Chorus, with Joan Sutherland, Grace Bumbry, Kenneth McKellar and David Ward. 7.5ips 1/4 track.

My Christmas wish is for Jimmy Smith, Christmas Cookin'.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 09:31:05 PM »
Errata: The Spirit of Christmas is LSO and Colin Davis.

Steve, thanks for reminding me, I have the Christmas at St John's too. Listening to it now.

And thanks for your wishes. The same to you and to the TP community. Let's hang on and try to survive the season!
Xavier Cortes

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 10:55:21 PM »
yes, Happy Holidays to all!  BTW, docb, how does that Messiah sound?  I have the complete 2 disc version, and the sound can be a bit cloudy, and yet there seems to be potential for a really good recording there, thinking I might have one that is a bit off...
"Music possesses far richer means of expression, and it is a more subtle medium in which to translate the thousand shifting moments in the mood of a soul." - Tchaikovsky

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 11:13:58 AM »
I should give it a listen as it has been a while. At the moment I am without a quarter track machine, so it may have a wait a few weeks.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 11:58:57 PM »
Playing the Dorati Nutcracker (the Philips, with the Concertgebouw) - very heady performance. Dorati was supremely experienced as a conductor of ballet and Tchaikovsky, although I believe there are times when he might have relaxed a bit. Anyway - terrific tape.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 04:09:08 AM »
Oh yeah,.. forgot about that one Tom.
I need to pull that one out too. IIRC, that's a terrific sounding tape.
Thanks for reminding me.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades