Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Tascam BR-20?  (Read 10806 times)

Offline jdcolombo

• View Profile
Tascam BR-20?
« on: September 18, 2007, 09:21:49 AM »
It looks like I made a successful bid on a Tascam BR-20 deck (one of those situations where I made an offer that I was certain would be refused, but lo and behold, it wasn't . . . oh well).

Does anyone know anything about these units?  My understanding is that this was the successor to the Model 32.  It has a front panel switch for IEC/NAB eq, which is the main reason I bid on it, but if any of you have any general info on the machine (particularly on service items to check on when I get it), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

John C.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 09:27:54 AM by jdcolombo »
John Colombo
Savoy, IL

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Re: Tascam BR-20?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 10:28:53 PM »
Hello John,
Looks like you're buying up every tape deck in sight, at least those on EBay? At any rate, I did a little looking myself and found some useful information on www.tascamforum.com

By the way, my Otari 5050 has to go to the shop. So, in the mean time I can look forward to using my Tascam 32B which also has switchable equilization. My preference for the Otari is that it does not have a capstan drive belt and therefore should suffer less wow/flutter. It has a new belt so we'll see what happens. Talk to you later and peace.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline jdcolombo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 06:06:11 AM »
Thanks, Bob.  Didn't know that forum existed!

I think this is my last deck for a while, unless I want to consult a divorce lawyer <grin> or unless I find another good condition PR99 for sale reasonably.  The BR-20 looked to be in very good shape from the photos on e-bay, and I made a fairly low offer which was accepted.  So even if it needs some work, I could justify spending some money on it.  Mostly, I wanted it for the switchable EQ until I can order and assemble a Bottlehead playback amp, which I'll probably hook up to the Revox.  Plus it is supposed to have very gentle tape handling.

Now I need a service manual to check and adjust the electronics!

John C.
John Colombo
Savoy, IL

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 09:28:13 PM »
Hey John, keep up updated on the BR-20. It looks like a pretty interesting deck. They seem pretty plentiful too. It looks like maybe one of the last r2r's that Tascam made. I was tempted but practical stuff won.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jdcolombo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 06:02:40 AM »
Well, the one I got looks virtually new.  Practically zero head wear - there wasn't even a shiny spot across the head gap.  Tape handling is very gentle - better, I think, than my PR99, though it (the PR99, that is) probably needs some adjustment.  Tape tension on the BR20 is maintained electronically, with a servo system that senses the tension on the tension arms and  adjusts reel motor speed accordingly.

The machine I got required virtually no adjustment.  The head azimuth was spot on; one channel was about 1db out on the repro level, which I readjusted with an alignment tape.  Measured frequency response was 20-20kHz at +/- 2 db.  The response doesn't seem quite as flat across the board as the PR99, but still quite good.  There was something of a peak at 30hz and 4kHz (the 30 hz is probably normal head bump; don't know why it comes up 2db high at 4 kHz).  This is all at 7.5 ips.   I made some test recordings with FM noise and SACD sources, and I couldn't tell any difference using RMGI 911 tape after adjusting the record bias per specs.

It has variable speed, selectable NAB/IEC eq, sync capability, etc., including both balanced and unbalanced inputs/outputs (no need for XLR adapter cables!).  You can get a wired remote, which means it probably is possible to rig up an infrared remote like Doc has done with the Technics series, though the remote jack on the back looks like an old parallel port!  The only mechanical downside I see is that it uses a belt for the capstan drive, unlike my PR99, which is direct drive.  I'll probably buy a couple of spare belts just to have around.

The autolocator has 3 memory positions and is dead accurate (unlike the PR99, which often "slips" a couple of seconds).  The thing weighs a ton - probably 70-80 pounds, and seems built like a tank.  I wish I had bought the other one this guy had for sale - I suspect that the radio station he got them from bought them as replacements and then went digital, because the thing looks hardly used.  At $450, including the shipping, I think it was a heck of a bargain, and I'd easily recommend it as a potential Tape Project machine.  They do seem to be popping up a bit on e-bay - maybe these are units from the last radio stations to go digital or studios/libraries that no longer want them.  They seem to be going pretty cheap, as well - I guess they just aren't as well known as the 32 series, though as far as I can tell, they share a lot of mechanical parts with the 32 (same capstan motor, reel motors).  A big plus is that parts are still readily available, including R/P heads for $60 each (same ones used in the Tascam 32 series).  I might go ahead and buy a couple of head sets just to have for the future.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with it.  Now if my consulting check would just arrive so I can officially join the Project, things will be . . . nice.

John C.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 06:28:00 AM by jdcolombo »
John Colombo
Savoy, IL

Offline beefman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 04:25:18 PM »
Those decks were sold up until '03(?) or so? Never seen one but I'd absolutely pick one up at $450... great buy!
Jeff Kane
Owner of many decks; in possession of few!

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 01:06:47 PM »
How does the BR-20 compare to the Tascam Models 32/42/52?

TIA

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca