Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Crown TDs  (Read 3755 times)

Offline crowner

• View Profile
Crown TDs
« on: January 21, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »
Newbie here. Why are Crown decks not used or discussed? Is it the eq issue or are they just not up to the job?
I have a fairly recent rebuild CX824 and was thinking of converting it to 2 track but I don't see anywhere on the site someone using a Crown. So, what's up with that???

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: Crown TDs
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 11:49:17 AM »
AFAIK the eq issue is the only reason not to. I'm sure someone familiar with their head amp design could look at the component values and figure a way to change it to the other curve. Also the modular design would lend itself to taking the play head output to one of Doc's external head amps.
I own a tube 2 track Crown BTW. It's early transport is pretty primitive to be playing expensive TP tapes on. I have broken a (non TP test) tape or two just putting it into play wrong. If you do it too slowly the tape speeds up too much before the pinch roller grabs it.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline crowner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:17:20 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I believe that the eq might be amenable to adjustment, it seems everything on this unit is. As far as tape handling, this 800 series is a logic controlled, electro magnetic tape transport. there are no mechanical brakes, no tension levers. When set up correctly it is very gentle on tapes. The only caution is that there is a lamp in the transport that is used by the direction sensor that if burnt out will allow the motors to tear a tape apart when going from FF or RW to stop or play. I will find out if the EQ can be changed and at least post this info for anyone else that might want to use a Crown TD for the TapeProject.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:46:51 AM »
I would expect that Crown decks would be more popular if they weren't so scarce.
I can remember lusting after a few back in the day.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades