Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Back to harping on a topic......Mahler  (Read 6939 times)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Back to harping on a topic......Mahler
« on: January 24, 2011, 12:00:58 AM »
I was listening to Mahler's First symphony on the radio, and was struck again by the thought of what an excellent Tape Project release a Mahler symphony would be. The prime candidates, due to length of the works (I imagine shorter is better) ought to be the First and the Fourth.

Of course, if you are a Mahlerite this is a very big year - the centenary of his death - there will be a flood of performances (the SF Symphony is doing 3 works in June, I believe) and recordings, and I am hoping we can do our little part as well.  Of course, Series 2 still has to be completed, and there isn't much hope that we could get a Mahler release in time for June....but we can dream, right?
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Re: Back to harping on a topic......Mahler
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 02:49:26 AM »
The Mahler centenary is in full force in London also. Last fall we heard Mahler 3 with Jurowski and the London Philharmonic Orchestra and Mahler 5 with Gergiev and the London Symphony Orchestra. Both quite spectacular - but too long for the TP.  I'd agree that Symphonies 1 and 4 would be the right size for the TP. There is an issue with Sym 1 in that the slow second movement is often split in recordings (total length of the symphony is around 1 hour). Depending on the recording Movements 1 and 2 might fit on one tape that would need a splice, but could fit on one reel.

Another choice could be some combination of his songs with orchestra, like "Lieder eines Fahrenden Gesellen" (Songs of a Wayfarer) whose second song is the basis of the catchy theme of the first movement of the first Symphony. Also "Das Knaben Wunderhorn" is lovely. "Das Lied von der Erde" really his 9th Symphony would also fit onto the TP tapes.

Larry   
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
We were in London earlier in the month and heard Maazel conducting the Philharmonia Orch in Royal Festival Hall.  The program was the first in his complete series of the Mahler symphonies - Symphony 1 and Songs of a Wayfarer, the second song being the main theme of the first movement of the symphony. Both were played more slowly than normal.  The symphony was spectacular - which great dynamics and Maazel really pulled off the slow tempi. The Songs, played first, did not fare as well with the slow tempi.    Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 04:51:30 PM »
We were in London earlier in the month and heard Maazel conducting the Philharmonia Orch in Royal Festival Hall.  The program was the first in his complete series of the Mahler symphonies - Symphony 1 and Songs of a Wayfarer, the second song being the main theme of the first movement of the symphony. Both were played more slowly than normal.  The symphony was spectacular - which great dynamics and Maazel really pulled off the slow tempi. The Songs, played first, did not fare as well with the slow tempi.    Larry

Larry:

Did you really like the sound of the hall? Last time I was there, and it was several years ago, RFH was an unmitigated sonic disaster. Drier than the Gobi Desert. And when I heard Rodrigo's Concierto Andaluz with the Romeros then, they even miked the guitars. From where I was sitting, the guitars were 90 feet wide. Needless to say, a major disappointment :(

Myles
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables