TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: How about a master/production copy's exchange?  (Read 8257 times)

Offline intell

• View Profile
How about a master/production copy's exchange?
« on: September 19, 2007, 02:43:58 AM »
Hi all!

Most of us have some 15ips 1/2 track master/production tapes, or copys of this tapes that stand's in the shelves.
How about copy's exchange?
I have some rock music on production tapes, some with dolby-A encoding, now i build a processor around original dolby cat.22 cart.
So i can copy this tapes unencoded.

I think best format for exchange will be 15 ips 1/2 track, but if someone who want's to exchange dont't have second pro-grade halftrack machine, 4 track recorded in one direction (to prevent crosstalk) will be a good compromise.

We can use the same RGMI tape (from ebay, or other sources). So if someone will be dissapointed in quality - still will be one positive moment: you get the same tape back :-)
But i hope that this situation never happens.

So, any minds about this?

Best regards! Anton

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How about a master/production copy's exchange?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 09:52:28 AM »
Hello Anton, and welcome to the forum.

We would prefer that this forum not be used to arrange swaps of tape copies. Since the tapes may or may not have copyright issues, and since we would have no control over those copyright issues, we would prefer that enthusiasts arrange those swaps somewhere else. Most of the people who would be interested also look in on The Tape Trail over at the Audio Asylum, you might try posting there.

The other topics you raise--decoding Dolby, and performance of various tape stocks--are perfectly good topics for this forum. We have a whole heading started for Raw Tape. Dolby decoding has already been a topic here too.

Be sure and introduce yourself. It's a friendly community, and everyone here would like to get to know you.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 05:46:14 PM »
Anton, I see you are in Russia. I used to play tournament chess ( only on a national level) and my chess teacher, who was born in Moscow, got me interested in your culture. I understand that most Soviet recording equipment was designed and made there. I was wondering if you could tell us a little about the reel to reel machines (particularly tube) that were used.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline intell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 03:52:08 AM »
Hi!
In soviet mostly use Hungary machines (one of them I have at home, soon I buy second machine, and my girlfriend very dissatisfied about this :-) ), this machines - Mechlabor STM-610 (at radio/tv stations also use STM-310 - compact trasportable units, and STM-210 (precedence of 610)).
This heavy (70 kilos) and perfect made machine, here's my, loaded with RadioArts tape:

Sadly this machines had poorly designed amps, but I trow away PCB's and assemble tube amps of my own design.
Mechanics are perfect! with heavy duty die cast chassis, and PAPST motors, also this machines have variable speed FF and switchable tape tension.
Also I perform some modifications of capstan motor, so it can runs at 3.75 ips, so I have 3 speed machine, that have interchangeable headblocks (4 track play; 2 track play; full track play; 2 track record; full track record), on play headblocks only one playback head installed, tape path allows to do it.

Some stations have Studer A80 - best sounding solid state machines I hear.
Older soviet made machines was tubed, example - MEZ-28, it was mono full track an runs at 30 IPS, amp have alot of permalloy transformers, and was very heavy, my frend have some of this amps for parts.
I never seen tubed soviet stereo machine.

In USSR of course was made some stereo solid-state machines, but quality of manufacture was poor, especially on mechanics. So stations prefere to buy STM's.

Hope I answer on you'r question. And sorry for my poor english :-)
Best regards! Anton