Tape Project Albums > Clifford Brown Memorial

Buzz?

(1/4) > >>

xcortes:
Anyone else hears the buzzing sound? I've only been through reel A (twice). The music and sound is VERY good but there's a really annoying buzz an important part of the time. The buzz is not there between tracks. At first I thought I might had got a defective tape but I did some research and read that some people that purchased the 45 rpm reissue complain about the same thing. Apparently the buzz is in the master so there's not much to do. I'd love to hear others' experience and opinions.

ironbut:
Hey Xavier,

Yes, my copy has the buzz (120Hz?) on tape one too.
I don't know the story behind it but perhaps someone here does?
It bugged me on the first (or second) playings but I block it out pretty well now and just get into the music.

It's funny, I was thinking about how many concerts I've been to (and recorded) that have those kinds of buzzes and hums and I almost never notice it till I listen to the recording later.

jeri:
I haven't played the tape yet, but I'm disappointed to learn there is an annoying flaw.  Even if it is present in the original.  Just wondering: couldn't it have been EQ'd out during mastering of the Tape Project release?

Bruce B:

--- Quote from: jeri on February 02, 2011, 02:02:22 PM ---Just wondering: couldn't it have been EQ'd out during mastering of the Tape Project release?

--- End quote ---

Yes, most of the time it can be without affecting the the frequencies around it too much.

xcortes:

--- Quote ---couldn't it have been EQ'd out during mastering of the Tape Project release?
--- End quote ---

One of the rules of the TP, as I understand them, is not to process the tape in any case.

The tape is very nice even with the buzz. And Side B doesn't have it (I understand this album comes from two different 10" EPs recorded on different sessions an different studios  -both in NYC).

It is one of the best TP releases IMHO so I would recommend listening to it before judging it. You won't be dissapointed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version