Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Tape Hold Down Tape Question  (Read 5009 times)

Offline jeri

• View Profile
Tape Hold Down Tape Question
« on: February 03, 2011, 02:20:00 AM »
I'd like to get opinions on acceptable hold down tape for keeping the free end of prerecorded tapes from unwrapping.

I started using round 3/4" diameter Avery labels and they seem to work fine, at least for now.  But I don't know if there is any long-term risk or if they will keep the tapes wound properly during prolonged storage.

Is there anything wrong with doing this?  Should I replace them all with genuine hold down tape??
Jeri

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: Tape Hold Down Tape Question
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 09:42:54 AM »
Back in the day there were these little dense foam blocks marketed that pressed in between the reel flanges against the tape pack to hold the end rather than taping the end down with some sort of adhesive. I suppose one could recreate these somehow. They were about 1/2" long by a bit over 1/4" square so they would be under slight compression and stay snug inside the flanges.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 12:22:03 PM »
I used to use some of the round Avery labels for hold downs (and I still use them to label the slip covers of my 7" prerecords) but I found them to be tough to pull off and after a while, they can leave sticky adhesive that has to be cleaned off.
I now use regular 1/4" hold down tape I get from US Recording Media.

The issue with the foam or plastic "clip" type hold downs that fit into the reel is they can deform the reel sometimes (especially aluminum reels). Sometimes it isn't the actual hold down device that deforms the reel but it's placement or removal when it's a partially loaded reel and the outside layer is more than a 1/4 inch or so deep in the reel.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 12:30:41 PM »

The issue with the foam or plastic "clip" type hold downs that fit into the reel is they can deform the reel sometimes (especially aluminum reels). Sometimes it isn't the actual hold down device that deforms the reel but it's placement or removal when it's a partially loaded reel and the outside layer is more than a 1/4 inch or so deep in the reel.

Always a bad idea to jam your fingers down in there! :-)
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...