Tape Project Albums > Church Windows/Appalachian Spring Suite

A new compilation.

(1/4) > >>

docb:
Respighi's Church Windows has been put out by Reference Recordings in a few different versions over the years. There is a 45 rpm version of Church Windows (RR-15), and there is a CD version that includes Poema Autumnale. Tam and Keith are planning a re-release of this album and for this they made the decision to combine Church Windows with Copland's Appalachian Spring Suite by the same Pacific Symphony Orchestra conducted by Keith Clark (RR-22), effectively combining the most moving pieces from two different albums. The two sessions were recorded in the same venue about 2-1/2 years apart (Santa Ana High School Auditorium). We have followed suit with this new compilation and the A reel of this album contains the Respighi while the B reel contains the Copland.

xcortes:
I was reviewing the Catalog page the other day and saw that Church Windows included Appalachian Spring. I was surprised to hadn't noticed that before. Now I know why!

In any case I like the decision. I love Copland and Appalachian Spring is among his best.

Thanks!

ironbut:
I too absolutely love Copland and Appalachian Spring in particular! I'm pretty sure I asked for it in the suggestion forum a while back.
Really looking forward to this one.

John Beach:

--- Quote from: docb on February 09, 2011, 11:04:08 AM ---Respighi's Church Windows has been put out by Reference Recordings in a few different versions over the years. There is a 45 rpm version of Church Windows (RR-15), and there is a CD version that includes Poema Autumnale. Tam and Keith are planning a re-release of this album and for this they made the decision to combine Church Windows with Copland's Appalachian Spring Suite by the same Pacific Symphony Orchestra conducted by Keith Clark (RR-22), effectively combining the most moving pieces from two different albums. The two sessions were recorded in the same venue about 2-1/2 years apart (Santa Ana High School Auditorium). We have followed suit with this new compilation and the A reel of this album contains the Respighi while the B reel contains the Copland.

--- End quote ---

Back in September Paul reported that he and Keith Johnson met and transferred Church Windows. Now we hear there is another version coming out, a compilation to include Copland's Appalachian Spring Suite. Does this require yet another transfer session or was this done last September, too? What does this mean to the tape's release date? On January 20th TomR commented: "Clifford Brown arrived and Church Windows will arrive next week." Was that wishful thinking on TomR's part? It's a bit confusing. Will Series 3 bring us anymore "Best Of" albums?

High and Outside:
John,

We transferred both the Respighi and the Copland at the same time. Most of the tapes have been duped, and the artwork is just about finished (as I understand...that's actually Doc's department.) I believe that these are in line to ship next, though I heard a rumor that there's a supply chain problem with one small part. Doc can update that when he has time. He's traveling right now for the HeadFi meet tomorrow.

We expect that the Series Three titles will be complete albums as they originally came out. But it's always possible that we'll surprise ourselves before we're done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version