TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: warped reels?  (Read 6620 times)

Offline analogmaster

• View Profile
warped reels?
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:44:22 PM »
OK,
about half of all the tape project tapes i receive have warped reels in which the tape scrapes against one edge of the reels.  is this normal?  what is the best way to correct it short of brutally trying to flatten them?
taj
Taj Madiwale
Magnepan 20.1s, Nola thunderbolt subs, Pass Labs X600.5s and XP25 phonostage, ARC Ref 3 pre and Ref 8 CD, VPI Ref Scoutmaster/10.5 arm/Dynavector XV1S cart, Tascam BR20 R2R with United Home Audio Phase 5 upgrade.

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: warped reels?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »
This is odd as I have used an awful lot of these flanges (we have them made in the thousands) and it's very seldom that I find one that is warped enough to scrape unless the reel has seen a lot of use and abuse as a supply reel. This phenomenon is often the sign that the tape is not centered on the hub, which is an indication that your deck may need some adjustment of the tape path. Before you try pulling on the flange check the tape pack and see if it is off center on the hub. If it is off center you will need to make sure that the take up turntable height and the guide closest to the take up reel are adjusted properly to center the tape pack on the hub.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »
Hey Taj,

Is the tape flanging (that's what the problem you have is called) on the outside or inside?
If it's on the outside, you may need to use a pair of "reel spacers" to move the reel out a tiny bit. Most "pro-sumer" machines use these and if United didn't supply you with a pair, you should probably contact them to see if you can get a pair.
The reason for the spacers is the difference in the thickness of plastic and metal reels. If the reel tables are adjusted so the plastic reels don't flange, then the metal reels will on some tapes because of normal tape "wandering". Also, the interface between the inside flange of the reel and the turntable surface is not exact so there's always a tiny bit of wobble as the reel turns. At one point or another, this tape "wandering" and the reel "wobble" will combine to make the tape rub the flange.
I have to use a pair of "spacers" with my Technics and most folks with machines that were intended to play plastic and metal reels will also.
Of course, you can have your reel tables adjusted for metal reels but then you'll get considerable flanging with plastic ones and in that case, a spacer would only make it worse.

If the tape is flanging on the inside, the reel tables probably need adjustment.
It could also be a problem with the NAB hub adapter. If the rubbing is only on the take up side, try switching the adapter from side to side and see if that helps. Some of those adapters don't work so great with all reels and increase reel wobble.

I've got all the TP tapes and I'm pals with several other subscribers. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with bent or warped reels.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline yjwu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 01:38:58 AM »
I guess the original message is that the tape is not centered on the middle between two flanges. It could be the reel taible height is different. Ideally both reel tables should be set to a correction height so that the tape will not touch any side of the reel.

If I remembered correctly on ReVox A77 this height can be adjusted by inserting thin flat washers under the break drums.

Y.-J. Wu

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:59:05 AM »
Although no metal reels are perfect, Tape Project tape reels are better than other metal reels in my experience.  Matter of fact, most of us use TP original take up reels for all tapes.

My guess is similar to what others had said above, your BR20's reel turntables might be set too low.  You can generally look with metal reels loaded and see how much clearance you have betwee the deck surface and the reel.  If you find that the gap is very small, you should use spacers or contact United for adjustments.  Revox/Studers use metal washers for the reel motor shaft and other machines are adjustable with set screws.

You should get it fixed before the metal reels start to scrape the surface of your deck cover.
Ki Choi