Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Nagra IV JS  (Read 10953 times)

Offline Guglielmo

• View Profile
Nagra IV JS
« on: March 02, 2011, 01:21:59 PM »
Hi to all!

Please I need an information: I may have the occasion to get a good Nagra IV JS. My aim is not to to record but mainly to play my collection of 2 track pre-recorded tapes. Is it a good machine suitable for this scope? What is the difference between the classic IV S and this version? Is it a "well sounding" machine?

Thanks for contribution!

Guglielmo

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:24:30 PM by Guglielmo »

Offline Rally555

• View Profile
Re: Nagra IV JS
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:52:11 PM »
Jesse here in San Antonio. The machine the Nagra IV JS will work.  I believe the difference between that and a IV S was used for instrumentation and logging.  The IVS was designed for stereo motion picture/music recording.  But if you are only going to use it for playback it will be a great machine.  I use the IVS for music recording and it has the wider track heads and pre-amps.  I believe you can hook the JS to a mixing board and record that way.  I attached a couple of my pictures.  If you have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected].

Sincerely,
Jesse

Offline Guglielmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 10:31:38 AM »
Hello Jesse, and many compliments for your wonderful machines!

Also the Stellavox is amazing mainly with its scarce ABR option! You are lucky to own the 2 best portable recorders, it would be interesting to hear from you pros and cons of both...

By the way I am waiting my Nagra IV-SJ so I will try its features mainly in playback recorded tapes. Also the QGB for Nagra is a very appreciated accessory but vey very expensive and difficult to find... Do you know if the ABR (less expensive) may somehow work with Nagra's?

Guglielmo

Offline Guglielmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 10:20:31 AM »
My "new" tool is arrived, it is in very good shape, now I have to understand its operation and put it at its best.

There are functions to set the equalization so I would ask the TP people helpful suggestions to utilise this machine may be also for TP tapes listening...

The first addition must be a QGB big reels adaptor, of course, but what about "tuning" to get the most from high quality 2 track tapes?

Thank you for help!

Guglielmo

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »
Hi Gugliemo
I had a IVSJ about 15 years ago and remembered it to be the same as IV-S for playback- that is from a distant memory. One very rare and interesting machine I had about 3 years ago was this Sony 770 4 channel portable deck. It was set up for 7 1/2 and 15 ips and had balanced mike inputs. It was as much money as a Nagra at the time and Sony only sold about 20 of them. It came with mimeographed operating manual as they never came up with a colour manual. It is a fine sounding machine, although nowhere near as rugged as a Nagra or Stellavox. They are much more common in 2 track format.
I've used Stellavox(sp-7 and sp-8), Nagra IV-S and T-Audio, Lyrec PTR-1, Sony 770 for location recording and playback. The Lyrec and Stellavox are my favourites for sonics. The Nagra IV-S is a fine recorder and not so great for playback. Charlie and I did put Stellavox electronics into a Nagra IV- this turned out to be a sonic disaster- likely due to the heads not being entirely happy with the 'vox electronics. The Lyrec is both a great recorder and playback device, but two drawbacks are lack of mic preamps and mechanical noise levels. The reliability is not wonderful from my experience with 4 of these over the last 10 years.
Regarding the ABR- it is totally Rube Goldberg like in operation. Totally lame for playback, due to almost non-existent tape tension. The QGB(Nagra) is the reel deal- great engineering and build quality. The ABR is only useful for location recording IMO.

Rich Brown
Portland, Oregon
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .