Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: What hardware are you using?  (Read 26110 times)

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: What hardware are you using?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 12:18:41 AM »
See my tag line at the bottom of all my posts. :-)
Master of the cheap, obscure and old...!
(not to mention the broken - needs some restoration)
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline taylortapes

• View Profile
Hello, new member; I bought my neighbor's father's TEAC A3340S yesterday for $150, it appears in great condition.

If anyone has pdf file of user's manual, please send me the link, or send as attached file to me: [email protected]

On the TEAC A3340S; on the back under the word "Output"  (line out) there is:

R         L         Front
3         1

R          L         Rear
4          2

Currently I have rca jacks (red/white) running from the Front to the stereo tuner.

The question: Should I be running another set of rca jacks (red/white) from the Rear to the stereo tuner.  I have a feeling that I am only hearing only a portion of the recorded music on the tape.

As you can see I am a novice at this...but most interested and learn fast.

Many thanks, taylortapes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 10:08:01 AM »
Hey Taylor,
I'll answer this post in the thread you started on the 3340s before.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jdza

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 05:17:20 AM »
Steve requested some detail on my equipment in the thread on the Levinson ML5, so a few  additional photos taken at various times:

Johan Dreyer

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »
Forget the tape machines... but horns....Wow!

What is the small Khorn like corner horns?
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 11:35:28 AM »
WOW!
Absolutely stunning!
I assume that your gear is in the room between the woofers?
BTW,.. how low do they go?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Tim Leggett

• Loud Listener elsewhere....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 02:25:26 PM »
I am just getting started refurbishing and modifying a Technics RS 1520. Ordered a tape path upgrade kit and am sending head block #1 off to JRF this week to get it back to stock.

Eventually in a few months head block #2 will be sent to get back to stock except for a Flux Magnetics playback head to use with an Eros preamp.
Tim Leggett
VPI Aries 3 - SDS - Super Platter - Periphery Ring Clamp - Phantom Tonearm,  Ray Samuels XR-10B,  Benz Micro Glider H2 & Ebony 3H, Antique Sound Lab AQ-1001 DT, Vandersteen 2Ce - Triangle Celius 202, Technics RS-1520, Ampex ATR-102

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
How Cool Is That, jdza!!
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 04:59:55 PM »
Regards,

Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 05:26:39 PM »
I am just getting started refurbishing and modifying a Technics RS 1520. Ordered a tape path upgrade kit and am sending head block #1 off to JRF this week to get it back to stock.

Eventually in a few months head block #2 will be sent to get back to stock except for a Flux Magnetics playback head to use with an Eros preamp.

Hi Tim:

Welcome and it seems you are already deep into seeking the best sound possible.
Now you need to get some Tape Project tapes to play on your modified Technics.
Ki Choi

Offline jdza

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 10:24:16 PM »
What is the small Khorn like corner horns?

The smaller speakers are/were Klipschorns. The top was removed and replaced with the Iwata horn. This carries a JBL 2440 driver fitted with 2450SL diaphragms.These extend to 20k but as it starts to beam at higher freqs the JBL 2404 tweeters are rolled in at 10k at 6db/oct to act as a "filler" more than a tweeter. As the front panel of the original K horn was in a light wood that did not match the horn this was changed to a darker wood-that still does not match the horn (sigh).The Iwata horn here is identical to the smaller horn in the main system(except  it is 3 inches shorter to accomodate the 2 inch throat vs 1.5 inch in the other).

BTW,.. how low do they go?

They were designed for low distortion ,high efficiency  and higher reach rather than absolute low extension so start dropping like a brick in the low 20s as the horns are no longer loading the drivers at that freq. Lower tones are still clearly felt but at a much lower level.
Johan Dreyer

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 04:06:12 PM »
I have lots - see my sig. Main tape player is same as Steve Koto's "Technics RS1500 with Flux Mag. Extended Response 1/2 track playback head (other heads stock) Bottlehead Repro.
Tape Project subscriber." In addition I have an Otari MX5050 BIII. Currently I use the balanced output of the Repro to either directly feed my Pacific Microsonics Model Two ADAC or the Steve Koto dolby B converter which then goes to the Model Two (for my tape ripping project).  The phono side is a VPI HRX TT with a 12.6 arm an Lyra Skala cartridge and an extra wand with a Lyra Helikon mono cartridge for my mono vinyl.  A custom Bottlehead phono preamp with adjustable EQ for my non RIAA vinyl also feeds the Model Two for ripping vinyl. For the computer audio, I am using Merging Technologies Pyramix 7 on XP and their Mykerinos sound card all in a Zalman fanless PC with two 128GB solid state drives and other external storage.  My two channel system has a Herron VTSP-3A preamp feeding a pair of Cary 2A3 SET monoblocks (putting out about 4W/channel) into a pair Avantgarde Duo horns.  I also have a parallel 5.1 system using a Conrad Johnson MET 5 preamp feeding the same amp and speakers and 3 Avantgarde self powered Solo speakers for center and rear and a Velodyne DD18 sub.  The main source is an Oppo BDP-83NE (Nuforce Edition) for DVD, bluray, SACD, DVD-A.  The power source is a Ground One isolation transformer and distribution system (by Art Kelm) fed from  240V single phase power and 20 foot ground rod (see www.ground1.com). 

Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline Tim Leggett

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »

Hi Tim:

Welcome and it seems you are already deep into seeking the best sound possible.
Now you need to get some Tape Project tapes to play on your modified Technics.

Hi Ki,

I have the first series subscription on order, the eight remaining titles. It will be a while before I play any of them until I get my machine in top shape...

I will work over the machine while I am installing the tape upgrade kit. If it needs repairs I can't do I will send it off for additional work as well.

Tim
Tim Leggett
VPI Aries 3 - SDS - Super Platter - Periphery Ring Clamp - Phantom Tonearm,  Ray Samuels XR-10B,  Benz Micro Glider H2 & Ebony 3H, Antique Sound Lab AQ-1001 DT, Vandersteen 2Ce - Triangle Celius 202, Technics RS-1520, Ampex ATR-102

Offline Jayeltex

• I'm afraid I've become a tape junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 07:25:45 AM »
I'm also using a Technics RS1500 ...but with "2" 1/2 track heads. a flux magnetics extended response head on the right side of the head block and a new Technics 1/2 track head on the 1/4 track side. This means I now have a choice of heads depending on the music (some tapes sound better with the flux magnetics head and some tapes sound better using the new Technics head). It's kind of like having 2 tone arms (2 cartridges) on a turntable which I can do on my Clear Audio Solution turntable.

The internal preamp has been by passed and I'm using a Bottlehead Eros tape head preamp.

It's being run through an EAR line stage preamp, a McIntosh 402 amp and Wilson Benesch speakers.

I'd like to eventually replace the EROS head preamp with the REPRO

And of course a TP subscriber...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:50:11 AM by Jayeltex »

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 12:21:18 PM »
The two 1/2 track heads is a very cool idea!
I listen to 1/4 tracks fairly often so that won't work for me. But I agree, there are some tapes that the stock head seems to favor.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Tim Leggett

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 06:22:54 PM »
I have received my RS-1520 head block back from John French. He did an awesome job on the heads, tape guides, and switch.

All playback/record heads were re-lapped with edge relief slots cut. The ferrite erase head was re-lapped and polished as well. John was also able to send a pair of pinch rollers too!

I played a tape I made on my Tascam 22-4 @ 15 IPS and it played back with a dead center stereo image on the 4 track head.

I then recorded 2 track @ 15 IPS and playback was very good. Needless to say the machine sounds a lot better after the head block reinstall and tape guide adjustments.

But the machine needs the capstan control board adjusted a bit, as well as wow/flutter/speed adjustments. It needs a lot of work for tape tension and brake tension too, which is most assuredly affecting speed stability. It also doesn't stop all the time in a state where the tension switch is engaged, another tell tale sign of tension/brake issues. I don't have test tapes or measurement equipment to make the speed adjustments myself.

So I ordered a shipping box from Doc to send it off for a service manual run through for adjustments, so we are making progress down here. After the machine gets back I will install the tape path modification kit Doc sent. I will just need to go through 2 track record/playback alignment routine when all is said and done.

Does anyone know the best starting BIAS and EQ switch setting for RMGI SM468 on an RS-1520?
Tim Leggett