TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: What hardware are you using?  (Read 26127 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: What hardware are you using?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 10:37:37 AM »
Hi Tim,

There are data sheets for the different RMG tapes available on the US Recording Media website.
http://usrecordingmedia.com/datasheets.html
I'm not sure if the 1520 also has the 1-2-3 switched setting like my RS1500, but I've been using bias and eq set on 2 with 468 and it seems pretty good.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Tim Leggett

• Loud Listener elsewhere....
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 06:02:14 PM »
Hi Tim,

There are data sheets for the different RMG tapes available on the US Recording Media website.
http://usrecordingmedia.com/datasheets.html
I'm not sure if the 1520 also has the 1-2-3 switched setting like my RS1500, but I've been using bias and eq set on 2 with 468 and it seems pretty good.

Thanks Steve, that is exactly what I was looking for. The 1520 also has the fine EQ and Bias adjust pots, one of each for each channel!
Tim Leggett
VPI Aries 3 - SDS - Super Platter - Periphery Ring Clamp - Phantom Tonearm,  Ray Samuels XR-10B,  Benz Micro Glider H2 & Ebony 3H, Antique Sound Lab AQ-1001 DT, Vandersteen 2Ce - Triangle Celius 202, Technics RS-1520, Ampex ATR-102

Offline Tim Leggett

• Loud Listener elsewhere....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »
Well, the Technics RS-1520 is at J-Corder getting a rebuild.

I found a service place here in Houston that ran through the service manual I gave them, but it still wasn't working as I expected it to.

It did not always stop with the tension switch engaged ready to play, fast forward or rewind. And they could not get that pesky wiggle out of the strobe. I found out that if I can see, I can hear it!

So, while that one has gone out the door, another has come in its place.

Tim Leggett
VPI Aries 3 - SDS - Super Platter - Periphery Ring Clamp - Phantom Tonearm,  Ray Samuels XR-10B,  Benz Micro Glider H2 & Ebony 3H, Antique Sound Lab AQ-1001 DT, Vandersteen 2Ce - Triangle Celius 202, Technics RS-1520, Ampex ATR-102

Offline Yoko

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 05:55:43 AM »
by the way: I need a flight case for my AMPEX ATR recorder (like the one above), give me PM if you have a tip or experience. Yoko
Yoko